Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces/Suspenders should match your ???

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The only thing you owe your friend is a crow for him to eat. Braces (suspenders) do not have to match with shoes. The only rules (if any) are that darker braces go with darker suits, lighter braces with lighter suits, black braces (perhaps with white trim) with tuxedos, and white braces with evening tails.

geo

The traditional British braces from Thurston are red, and that explains the high number of British gentlemen wearing red shoes.

Without joking, suspenders can be red, blue, green, of in regimental stripes, and they don't have to match anything.

Maybe he refers to the leather part where the suspenders attach to the waistband? Even then, it doesn't have to match the shoes.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hmm hate to be devil's advocate....

But I have heard that the leather ends of the braces should match your shoes. I personally think that looks better and it follows the line that your belt should match your shoes. I makes sense to me that the same rule applies to the leather end of your braces.

As far as the brace straps themselves, they should be similar in colour to the colour of the tie you are wearing. With formal wear I agree that they should be black or white for black tie and white for white tie.

Cheers

Peter

Teacher

Familiar Face
3PieceSuitGuy said:
But I have heard that the leather ends of the braces should match your shoes. I personally think that looks better and it follows the line that your belt should match your shoes. I makes sense to me that the same rule applies to the leather end of your braces.

As far as the brace straps themselves, they should be similar in colour to the colour of the tie you are wearing. With formal wear I agree that they should be black or white for black tie and white for white tie.

Cheers

Peter

Precisely what he said.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
What if you take off your jacket...

and your'e not wearing a vest? Then your braces would show. In regards to just having the one look for an outfit I don't agree. When you look at how a guy is dressed you tend to look him up and down and you see what is glaringly wrong. I saw a guy with braces on the other day, and that is rare down here, and firstly I noticed the straps - nice blue striped ones, then looked down and saw the clip on ends! And a belt! Then I thought why did he bother! If I saw brown leather ends and black shoes to me the brown ends would stick out and ruin the continuity of the look.

We match a shirt with a tie, a suit with shoes, so why not brace ends with shoes. Personally I hate the brown shoes with the navy suit thing as well. Just doesn't look right.

Cheers

Peter

shindeco

A-List Customer
3PieceSuitGuy said:
Personally I hate the brown shoes with the navy suit thing as well. Just doesn't look right.

Cheers

Peter

I think it's a personal taste thing. I love the blue suit/brown shoes and brown suit/black shoes looks. It's harder to pull off but it can look really good in my opinion. The idea that brown and black don't go together is an acquired concept. Brown tabs and black shoes don't bother me in the least.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Okay, I'll weigh-in with my personal views on this; but let me emphasize that this is my rule for my own dressing, not something I would presume to impose on anyone else.

I wear braces/suspenders often and I am aware that they may be exposed to others when I sit and open by coat, when I push my coat back and place my hands in my trouser pockets, and indeed, even when I hook my thumbs in my braces while lecturing my students.

I like the leather ends of my braces to coordinate with the other leather I am wearing; tan with tan shoes, cordovan with cordovan shoes, brown with brown shoes, and yes, black with black shoes. I like white leather ends on the braces I wear with my tux.

Just as I avoid an exact match between my tie and my pocket square; I avoid an exact match between the straps of my braces and my tie. Nevertheless, I do like my braces to coordinate well with the other elements of my attire.

For me, my braces are a functional part of my attire, not a decorative element. If they match my coat or trousers, they are less apparent and they do not detract from the more decorative parts of my attire.

Finally, let me say that for me, it truly does not matter if anyone else sees my braces. I know they are there and I take pleasure in knowing that they are 'right'.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I only use one pair of braces regularly- they're vintage, with braided ends rather than leather and they're a pale shade of grey. They don't offend the eye at all and match with everything- I agree that braces are more of a 'functional' item, different from a tie's purpose completely. Brightly colourd braces can ruin a look totally.

Nothing wrong with being a fastidious dresser and matching your brace ends with your shoes but it all seems a little too far for me...

B
T

Dashingemt

New in Town
Rules....nah not for me

I think that you should wear what you want, as long as when you look in the mirror you are happy. Style is perception. A blue mowhawk looks rediculous to me...however to my 14 year old cousin, she thinks they look great. Hopefully she will grow out of it....but thats a whole other story. I sometimes wear very contrasting cuff links that would probably be against the "rules". But when I put them on I like the way I look! That should be the only rule!!!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wolfmanjack said:
I like the leather ends of my braces to coordinate with the other leather I am wearing; tan with tan shoes, cordovan with cordovan shoes, brown with brown shoes, and yes, black with black shoes.

:eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BellyTank said:
Matching braces could result in a nasty '80s effect.

B
T

Agreed. And there are few things worse. Matching tie and pocket rag, and matching suspenders. Looks like you bought it all in a clear-topped box at Sears. It's just not done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24