BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by LuckyLighter, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ChrisT

ChrisT One of the Regulars

I also like this kind of 'runner end'
    81_0.jpg

2. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Me too. Bought another pair like this on the fleamarket last week. Do you know if this is an continental european thing? A friend asked on facebook because he never finds them.

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Exactly. I wouldn't pay it any mind. TBH, I don't think there ever was a particularly "formal" variety of braces; indeed, in any actually formal situation, they should never be seen, so to have a "formal" variety would seem somewhat pointless, like formal men's underwear. If you want some thing that appears a bit more relaxed, I suppose something of a more utilitarian construction, like biker braces, might do the job. In terms of comfort, I can't honestly say I've never noticed any difference between (or, indeed, any discomfort with) different types of braces, but then I'm rarely in a car at all, let alone driving one.

4. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

5. ChrisT

I don't know, but I find them in Germany.
    Here are some other models from France

GEDC4670.jpg

6. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

braces by CH Guyot, circa late teens-early 20s. the ends are elastic, the straps are non-elastic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's a 1907 ad:

[​IMG]

the style seems to have remained pretty much unchanged from 1900 - early 1920s so dating them accurately is tricky.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  7. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

8. BR Gordon

BR Gordon One Too Many

I was watching a PBS series last night that had a gentleman wearing Y back braces, that had a length adjuster on the single leg of the Y. Has anyone seen these before? They were modern, not vintage braces.

9. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

Lovely braces.... maybe I should start stocking this colour too!!

10. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

I'm not sure if we are supposed to post questions in here, but I have a question related to suspenders. Back in the 1930's/1940's, did they make clip-on suspenders? I have read that clip-on suspenders were invented in the late 1800's, but I have yet to see vintage suspenders with clips.

11. ChrisT

no idea Retro Spectator, but it's a good question

12. DAJE

DAJE One of the Regulars

Somewhere on the Lounge, possibly in this very thread, someone posted 1920s/1930s magazine ads that included clip-on braces.

13. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Here are some from the late '30s. They go back further than that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ChrisT

thank you Dinerman

15. Nyah

Nyah One of the Regulars

How do you search for non-runner-end suspenders? Nearly everything I find happen to be runner-end. The one current production suspender I can find that has the ends I'm looking for, Welch brand, gets bad reviews on Amazon.

16. BR Gordon

BR Gordon One Too Many

17. DAJE

DAJE One of the Regulars

I've seen "runner end" used to describe any braces that aren't clip-ons, more often than I've seen it used to mean specifically runner-ended braces.

Anyhoo, British Braces sells some of those Sophos Braces a LOT cheaper than Fogey:

http://www.britishbraces.co.uk/shop/runner-end-braces/runner-end-trouser-536a0b85464f6.html
    http://www.britishbraces.co.uk/shop/runner-end-braces/runner-end-trouser-536a0b8554f56.html

Their helpfully named "Runner end braces" section lists many non-runner end braces:
    http://www.britishbraces.co.uk/shop/runner-end-braces

18. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

This question may very well be stupid, but are you supposed to match suspenders to your shoes like a belt? I currently wear a pair of khaki/brown suspenders, and I wear brown/bugundy shoes, and khaki/brown slacks. However, since there are thousands of black and white spectator shoes on the market, and sadly only a few brown and white spectator shoes on the market, I was wondering if I needed a new pair of suspenders to wear with black shoes. If I did, I would probably just stick to brown shoes, as I don't think black really matches much of the rest of my outfits.

19. Boinciel

Boinciel New in Town

Suspenders can be any colour you like (although I do have reservations about black suspenders with an outfit where everything else is lighter). I have some suspenders with blue-coloured, with grey-coloured, and with yellow-coloured leather fittings, and I certainly don't have any blue or yellow shoes to wear them with.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  20. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

I try to match the leather attachment ears to my shoes, which is only a problem when I wear burgundy shoes. I don't wear patterned suspenders with a patterned shirt and I do try to coordinate the colors. Of course if I am not taking my jacket off it doesn't matter as much.