Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Just a personal opinion

Personally I don't fancy braces with a casual trouser such as chinos or jeans (unless it's Robin Williams playing Mork from Ork).

Casual pants are meant to have a belt. I'm sure others will disagree, it's just how I feel

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
braces/suspenders with casual clothes

Yea, I kind of thought that too. But I remember a lot of my uncles on my father's side wore suspenders every day (they have all passed away now). That was a small town in west Texas, so maybe that was just a country thing?

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Manhattan Skyline

65R_2178.jpg
Now Those are NICE suspenders!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Just got 12 pairs of braces at the thrift shop: 11 Silk trafalgar pairs and one by Christian Dior. Price? A dollar each.

P1070816.jpg

P1070818.jpg

P1070819.jpg

P1070820.jpg

Hm- I don't seem to have included the Dior ones in the shot- no worries, they're not all that interesting. Burgundy with silver stripes.

vintage68

Practically Family
SlyGI said:
Just thought I would bump my question up.

Thanks!

My personal opinion is no, you do not wear suspenders with Khakis.

I don't object to the casual nature of the pant since many casual trousers can be worn with suspenders, but IMHO that combo just doesn't work.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
Just got 12 pairs of braces at the thrift shop: 11 Silk trafalgar pairs and one by Christian Dior. Price? A dollar each.

P1070816.jpg

P1070818.jpg

P1070819.jpg

P1070820.jpg

Hm- I don't seem to have included the Dior ones in the shot- no worries, they're not all that interesting. Burgundy with silver stripes.

WOW, DID YOU EVER LUCK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for casual suspenders along the lines of the ones below, and just want to explore my options before buying something.

If you know of any that are similar to those posted below, please post them.

I dig the Filson

f200tan_detail.jpg

and these elk leathers from the Levis Vintage Japan store (found via Google images) are killer - though I'm sure they're well over $100.

levis-japan-vintage-elk-suspenders-04.jpg

poshgirlvintage

New in Town
Vintage Calvin Curtis suspenders

Hi, I have a pair of real Calvin Curtis suspenders/braces (NOT the Tafalgar ones). I'm trying to find info on their age & what they sell for these days.

I'm guessing they're from the 40's from the little bit I have learned recently.

The design is nude Art Nouveau looking women.
I don't know as much about men's vintage clothing as I do about women's so I'm trying to learn. Hoping you guys know the info on these.

The only marks I could find is " R H Macy & Co New York"
They are silk and white leather with metal hardware.

Thanks so much!!! :)

1sus.jpg

2s.jpg

hPPYs

New in Town
About braces.

I want to buy some pairs of boxcloth braces,and I find them on the webside of Albert Thurston.There are white ends and black ends which are cheaper than white one.

I would like to ask what the difference is between them?:D

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Black ends are intended to be worn with black shoes only. White ends can be worn with shoes of any colour, so they are more versatile.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
It might also be that the white ends are made of better leather; personally I favour white for the reason Rudie gives above. However, I think that Thurston's would be happy to make you up a special order at little or no extra cost should you want to mix their offerings up a little; they did a nice pair of dove grey barathea braces for me with white ends, Y back and nickel fittings.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ever since I started wearing vintage style clothing, I've begun to understand why men wore braces back in the old days. They really hold up your trousers a hell of a lot better than belts. Unfortunately I don't have any braces...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR