Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

MisterGrey

Practically Family
If one is putting brace buttons into one's trousers, must the belt loops be removed, or is it acceptable to leave them on so that the trousers may be worn with either/or?

Feraud

Bartender
Suspenders from the Ralph Lauren outlet. 50% off!
DSC06389.jpg

DSC06390.jpg

DSC06391.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Calvin Curtis Suspenders: the Holy Grail of Vintage Braces

Once upon a time (in the Golden Era), a man named Calvin Curtis opened a haberdashery on 5th Avenue. He designed and sold neckties, scarves, handkerchiefs and suspenders. As fate would have it, those eccentric, sometimes humorous suspenders became Curtis's most popular item. Limited editions all ... and boy, were they expensive: $8.50 in 1948.

Fast forward to the 1980s. Trafalgar, a high-end accessories company in Connecticut, begins to sell limited edition reproductions of Calvin Curtis's suspenders. You can still get a few of those repros from Trafalgar today ... for $170.

Here's the skinny: you can find original, vintage 1930s-'50s Calvin Curtis suspenders on eBay. Not often, of course, but about once every 2 or 3 months. The real deal. Here's a recent example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280389599761

Note that the originals almost always go for less cash than the reproductions. This one was an exception, perhaps because Halloween is coming.

Feraud

Bartender
Those suspenders look like something most people would pass up.

Personally I think the motif is cool and am always interested in less common clothing styles from the era!

Thanks for posting it! :)

Bugsy

One Too Many
It's probably over 25 years ago that I was shopping at a rather POSH men's store in San Francisco. There, buried under a pile of boxes, I spotted these braces which came with matching garters. The garters long ago lost their elastic, but the braces still work perfectly. Can you imagine a more perfect accessory for July 4? Three cheers for the red, white, and blue!!

IMG_0054.jpg

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Suspenders

I've been looking recently at converting from regular belt to suspenders for some of my stuff. This is going to be mostly jacket and tie level stuff for work. What would have to be done to the pants (usually dockers type stuff) for traditional suspenders to work? I'm not a fan of clips, but instead prefer the leather strap and button type. Would adding the buttons be a difficult or costly thing? I also have a couple pairs of pants I received as gifts that have a sort of "expansion waist" where they have a waist that and expand and contract a bit, though do not seem to be of the cheap elastic sort. How would the addition of buttons go with those? Any suggestions on suspender brands or types or sources? I'm looking at strictly traditional stuff- black or grey or tan.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Most competent cleaners should know how to put on suspender buttons for you, and they should have the buttons available for a very nominal charge. That said, I recently tried to have buttons put on a pair of trousers, and the nincompoop tailor botched it. He put the front pairs of buttons almost right next to each other. When I showed the person at the counter what was wrong, they were glad to do them over for no extra cost. You might find yourself a pair of trousers that have them already installed, to get a feel for exactly where they belong. Having buttons in the wrong place can cause you to spend the whole day shoving suspenders back up when they fall. That'll make you nuts very quickly.

dnjan

One Too Many
I have sewn 3/4" flat buttons onto the inside waist of several pairs of pants. Just like sewing a button a shirt. If you use thread that matches the pants, it will be hardly noticeable on the outside.

For the first time, it is easiest if you have a pair of dress pants with buttons already in place to use as a location/spacing guide.

billyspew

One Too Many
Ray-Vigo said:
I've been looking recently at converting from regular belt to suspenders for some of my stuff. This is going to be mostly jacket and tie level stuff for work. What would have to be done to the pants (usually dockers type stuff) for traditional suspenders to work? I'm not a fan of clips, but instead prefer the leather strap and button type. Would adding the buttons be a difficult or costly thing? I also have a couple pairs of pants I received as gifts that have a sort of "expansion waist" where they have a waist that and expand and contract a bit, though do not seem to be of the cheap elastic sort. How would the addition of buttons go with those? Any suggestions on suspender brands or types or sources? I'm looking at strictly traditional stuff- black or grey or tan.

I normally buy Albert Thurstons (http://www.albertthurston.com/), quite pricey but worth the money.
You can pick them up from eBay cheaper sometimes and they quite often come with buttons to install.

They also supply clip on buttons, though I've never used them myself.
AT5.jpg

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Anyone here have experience with Y versus X suspenders? Which gives a more true vintage look for a regular office type situation?

cptjeff

Practically Family
filfoster said:
I have always thought Y for office and dress, then and now, but if I am wrong, this is the place to find out.
As they were underwear and not meant to be seen, that probalby didn't matter back in the day. A coat or vest would be covering them at all times.

Geesie

Practically Family
dnjan said:
I have sewn 3/4" flat buttons onto the inside waist of several pairs of pants. Just like sewing a button a shirt. If you use thread that matches the pants, it will be hardly noticeable on the outside.

For the first time, it is easiest if you have a pair of dress pants with buttons already in place to use as a location/spacing guide.

As I don't have those, what is a good distance between buttons?

cptjeff

Practically Family
Geesie said:
As I don't have those, what is a good distance between buttons?
On the only pants I have with buttons, there are two pairs in the front, with the first button of each 3.5" from the fly, and the second button 4" from the first button. (about 89 and 101 mm respectively), and the rear buttons are 4" apart as well.

Not having worn braces with them as I'm a belt guy, can't tell you if those are 'good' or not, but they're something to go on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn