Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brando jackets

Edward

Bartender
Thanks :) Brando looks impossibly sharp in both - I wish I looked half as good! lol

fardin said:
well edward here is a pic of brando in the waterfront jacket. hope you are still interested, although he is also wearing the b15 in the movie, anyway here are both pics, he is wearing cord pants and chukka style boots, like the aldens today or back then i guess those were maybe red wing ones( but thats just a guess)
3071458301_03d73af063_o.jpg

3071458305_ef2a271525_o.jpg

fardin

New in Town
the funny thing is that brando himself wore a B-9 typ coat while shooting, must have been really cold that winter :)
you can see the waterfront jacket underneath if you look closely.

kind regards
3077105805_385006a8d4_o.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Back in the mid 80s, my folks bought me a couple of pairs of corduroy trousers with wide, 50s-style legs. Being 12 at the time, and on holiday, I had little or no interest in paying attention in the shop - only when I wore them out (to a non-uniform event in school, the horrors!) did I realise how wide they were. I remember, in those days of drainpipes as almost standard issue, being horrified by these huge things that I regarded as "flares" (even thoug they were straight-legged), and never wore them again. Ironically, they were, to my memory, very much like the ones Brando is sporting in those photos, and now I wish I could find an old shop selling them again! They were purchased on sale, I think as remaindered stock, and a dim memory insists it was a small, independent shop. I wonder how old they really were!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
That was what I was wearing when I posted the 'coincidentally I am dressed the same' post. If you see what I mean.

Baron Kurtz said:
His boots look to have crepe soles, and with the small number of eyelets for the laces, they look almost like Clarks Originals desert boots.

bk

Papa M

A-List Customer
Burnsie said:
...I too have been looking at the Waterfront jacket for years on Aero's site - did you get the reversible one with leather inside or the plain Waterfront?

I was considering buying the reversible Waterfront however I was advised that the stiffness of the full quarter horsehide might be a bit uncomfortable when worn on the inside. Anyone here got experience of that please?

Edward

Bartender
Just received an email in this morning to inform me that my Aero Waterfront (single sided) has been dispatched.... so it will be with me later in the week, I hope. I may well take it with me for casual wear when in Edinburgh for a weekend (to attend a friend's wedding - obviously not wearing it to that!!) later this month. I think it would be good for the weather up there... I'm hoping it's not still B3 weather by that point!! lol

I was in Marksies on Oxford Street on Saturday past, and they had some really nice black suede desert boots and corduroy trews that would look just right with that jacket..... hmmnnn.....

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Good luck with your Waterfront, Edward. I have one of the early ones and it gives me good service.

I've been looking back up the thread and re-examining the shoes Brando is wearing. I don't think they are Clark's 'desert boots' with a crepe sole (which came out in 1951) as we originally thought, but the post war British military issue suede 'George' boot with a moulded sole.

Tito

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Just received an email in this morning to inform me that my Aero Waterfront (single sided) has been dispatched.... so it will be with me later in the week, I hope. I may well take it with me for casual wear when in Edinburgh for a weekend (to attend a friend's wedding - obviously not wearing it to that!!) later this month. I think it would be good for the weather up there... I'm hoping it's not still B3 weather by that point!! lol

I was in Marksies on Oxford Street on Saturday past, and they had some really nice black suede desert boots and corduroy trews that would look just right with that jacket..... hmmnnn.....

When you receive.....picssssss;) :)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I was wearing a pair of 1960s (same as 1950s) Clark's desert boots (not like Brando's after all) I bought them from Clark's in Street in the 1960s.

I also have a pair of British military issue (like I believe Brando's to be) with the moulded sole.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera.

Tito said:
Hi H.Johnson, where did you buy?
can show?
Cheers

Papa M

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Just received an email in this morning to inform me that my Aero Waterfront (single sided) has been dispatched....

I hope that you are as thrilled with it as I am. Mine has seen plenty of service during our recent arctic weather patterns. The Waterfront, along with my two Filsons, have been my most worn (and most warm) jackets this winter.

I notice that Aero have, at last, managed to sell the reversible Waterfront size 44 that they have had on special offer (£350) for ages.

Edward

Bartender
Mmn. The reversible one didn't quite excite me so much.... I guess because worn leather-out, it's really just another leather jacket, whereas that green wool really makes it stand out... The big attraction in practical terms for me was that the regular Waterfront is something different, an alternative ot leather or sheepskin. I can't imagine I'll wear it to the office (which I frequently do my B3 in Winter), but I'll definitely rock the workwear look with it on weekends. It's one I've wanted for a long time, and took the plunge in the end because of the rumoured pending cessation of Aero production of cloth jackets. I plan eventually to buy also a black thirties halfbelt which I would like to have lined in something with the look of the Waterfront's green check wool, but I suspect it would have to be something much lighter to both work with the neater fit of the jacket and make it not so warm as can't be worn outside of Winter. A shorter jacket like that I prefer to be geared for Spring / Autumn / Cooler Summer evening wear.

Aero sometimes have great sale items.... I regret now not buying one of their B15s when they had them on sale for just over GBP100 a year or two ago. At the time, while I did (and still do) want a B15-C, for a green cloth jacket I was into the B10. Now I've come to prefer the B15 as a more civilian look (as modelled by Brando above, of course). I know Aero's cloth flyig jackets don't have the reputation of being as accurate as ELC's, but for someone wanting a good, period civilian B-15 style jacket I think that would be grand.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I plan eventually to buy also a black thirties halfbelt which I would like to have lined in something with the look of the Waterfront's green check wool...

Be very wary of using that Waterfront plaid as an internal lining. I have a FQHH hybrid Highwayman with mouton collar which is lined with the green plaid and I find it heavy, coarse and not such a pleasure to wear.

Part of what makes the Waterfront so great is the plain black cotton lining.

By the way - when you first receive your Waterfront you'll find that it smells very strongly. It's a kind of pungent rich vintage woolen smell - neither pleasant nor unpleasant - just strong. It fades with wear.

Edward

Bartender
Papa M said:
Be very wary of using that Waterfront plaid as an internal lining. I have a FQHH hybrid Highwayman with mouton collar which is lined with the green plaid and I find it heavy, coarse and not such a pleasure to wear.

Yeah, I've realised it's not a good choice for that, though hopefully they'll have something like a brushed cotton with that general look to it.

By the way - when you first receive your Waterfront you'll find that it smells very strongly. It's a kind of pungent rich vintage woolen smell - neither pleasant nor unpleasant - just strong. It fades with wear.

Sounds good..... nothing like the smell of new clothes. :)

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
I was wearing a pair of 1960s (same as 1950s) Clark's desert boots (not like Brando's after all) I bought them from Clark's in Street in the 1960s.

Jinkies, do you not wear thm much, or are they simply that good? Have you had them re-soled?

Edward

Bartender
Papa M said:
In some ways this is "nothing like the smell of new clothes". It's more like the smell of old clothes!

lol You reckon they add a little something to give it that vintage experience? It's waiting for me in the post office now, but it'll be tomorrow before I can get across town...

Papa M

A-List Customer
Edward said:
lol You reckon they add a little something to give it that vintage experience? It's waiting for me in the post office now, but it'll be tomorrow before I can get across town...

Let's hope we don't bump into each other both wearing Marlon's jacket. We'll be the Brando Twins.

Edward

Bartender
Papa M said:
Let's hope we don't bump into each other both wearing Marlon's jacket. We'll be the Brando Twins.

Aye, let me know if you're wearing that one, and I'll wear my BRMC leather.... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff