Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brass Buttons?

Luckytop

New in Town
I bought a great 1947 navy blue, double breasted blazer with wide peaked lapels, but it has regular type buttons. Please tell me what you think; should I replace them with brass buttons? I like the way it looks with the original buttons, but since I am wearing it as a blazer, would brass buttons look more appropriate?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There are those who will say that a navy blue jacket needs special buttons like brass or MoP to differentiate it from an orphaned suit jacket. I'm not one of those people. I have blue horn on this linen DB jacket and have no qualms about wearing it as an odd jacket.

Shoes341.jpg

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Tomasso is right that a navy jacket doesn't need brass buttons. It's simply a matter of taste. If you like the slightly naval look you get from brass buttons then by all means change them. If not your jacket sounds just fine as it is.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
A blazer does not have to have brass buttons, either by definition or in order to necessarily to look good. I think perhaps it's a good idea to have buttons that are slightly different from what one would expect on a standard suit jacket, but it's not essential, and you've got tons of options besides brass or MOP.

Luckytop

New in Town
This blazer is made of material one would not normally expect to find for an entire suit, but the buttons do not stand out in any way. Perhaps I will look for buttons that will differentiate it a bit. Thanks to all for sharing your opinions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy