Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in Selvedge Denim - 14 oz. vs 21 oz.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I think this notion about a huge snow vocabulary is a myth... apparently the various languages of the Inuit and other groups have more or less the same level of words for the stuff as we do.... I agree we may well have more terms for disgusting/ugly.... and I think we almost certainly beat them on selvedge, selvage, self-edge ....

Yeah, I've heard it's a myth but it makes so much intuitive sense and it's not like there's an Eskimo on every corner that you can ask (at least not where I live) that it'll never be extinguished so I just go with it. Call it conceptual shorthand with all apologies to Nanook and his offspring. Here's two concepts in English that seem to me to have lots of words though: shine and yell. You can probably rattle off nine or ten synonyms for each without even thinking about it. I wonder if Eskimo or Inuit or Yupiks or Tlingit or Haida or whatever have as many words for these as we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24