Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim trimmer/cutter or rounding jack...

Hi folks, reviving this thread with a question...

I have a hat I want to take the brim down by just a fraction - preferably 1/8". I'm lookng to buy one of this sort of brim trimmer:

BrimCutter.jpg

Anyone know where I can pick one up at a sensible price (not something I'll be likely to be using especially often), or anyone have one they'd be willing to sell me? Don't care whether it is vintage or not, it's the functionality I need.

Search the Western Wear sites. You may find a better price = http://www.hawkeyetack.com/M-and-F-Brim-Cutter-1002.html

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a few fs/ft

brimcutters_sm-1.jpg

I got 'em & never had the courage to use 'em. I think I have at least one each of 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 inch widths. I'll have to see after work.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
... does anyone have one of these that they would like to sell?
I have more than a few hats that need a little trim & was hoping someone here might have one that they would like to ge rid of... anybody?

I could have used one of those. I guess my job was fine enough though.

Scissors.

That's what I used for this thing right here...

Photoon2011-03-22at01162.jpg

Seriously sharp scissors,...and a steady hand.

Definitely. The edges of my felt aren't exactly symmetrical all the way around, but it looks right enough if the hat isn't just completely in your face.

frussell

One Too Many
I've got the one Mr. Dean linked to above, and I've used it many times now without needing so much as a new blade. I got it from the store linked, Hawkeye Tack. The 1/8" is the most practical, for my needs. I can always take another spin, but you can't put it back on. Easy to use. I've used scissors and strap cutters, this is better. Frank.

Edward

Bartender
Search the Western Wear sites. You may find a better price = http://www.hawkeyetack.com/M-and-F-Brim-Cutter-1002.html

Thanks, I'll check that one out. I did find a couple of places that had them that either didn't ship to the UK, or it was the shipping that made it prohibitively expensive! heh.

brimcutters_sm-1.jpg

I got 'em & never had the courage to use 'em. I think I have at least one each of 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 inch widths. I'll have to see after work.

If you do have a 1/8" that you're willing to part with, let me know!

Thanks, I'll look into those too.

Maybe we could start a borrowing circle: use it, pass it on. I have 2 hats I'd like to take an 1/8 or 1/4 off of.

There's an idea! I've long toyed with the idea of picking up a couple of cowboy hats and converting them to fedoras as a project, but really the immediate aim is to take just enough off the brim of a carbon grey MKIII Federation to provide a bit of felt to fill in a moth crater in the top which bothers me enough to not be comfortable wearing that hat as it is. It's a favourite, too... (I don't mind a visible repair, but the moth damage... yeesh).

I've got the one Mr. Dean linked to above, and I've used it many times now without needing so much as a new blade. I got it from the store linked, Hawkeye Tack. The 1/8" is the most practical, for my needs. I can always take another spin, but you can't put it back on. Easy to use. I've used scissors and strap cutters, this is better. Frank.

Oh, I wouldn't even attempt scissors for fear I'd keep snipping to even it up and end up with a Jughead beanie in no time.... lol

Rick Blaine

YO! bolthead!!!!

MT UR Mailbox, bolt', FCS!

Trimmers will be wingin' their way to you by Tuesday am! I stuck a treat in there too, if you can't use it, pass it along, eh?

Best,

RB

DRB

One Too Many
Rounding Jack

Rounding Jack in closed position
April620111RoundingJack.jpg

Open position to desired length of brim cut
April620112RoundingJack.jpg

Open (not engaged blade) position of blade cutter. Uses ordinary razor blades. Easy to adjust depth of cut.
April620113RoundingJack.jpg

A brass plate is attached to prevent cutting the table.
April620114RoundingJack.jpg

Fine quality craftmanship
April620116RoundingJack.jpg

Made in the USA
April620118RoundingJack.jpg

April620117RoundingJack.jpg

This was my first attempt. I used a hat I have been tearing apart and putting back together. Very easy and exact.
April620119RoundingJack.jpg

Look at my previous post for his website, if you are so inclined.

DRB

One Too Many
In a few days a wooden puller-downer will arrive, built by the same man (Mark DeCou). Judging by the quality of the rounding jack, I think the puller-downer should be very nice as well. I am not trying to sell these for him. I believe credit and acknowledgement are due when applicable.

Rick Blaine

Good to hear

Worked out great, and thanks for the treat too. You're a good egg.

Funny, I FEEL like a scrambled egg. :p

A pleasure, my friend. I never had the stones to bring cool steel & warm felt together, fearing the ensuing disaster. You are obviously far more adroit than am I, which is damning with faint praise, indeed! lol

I still gotta 1/8" & 1/2" should you want 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy