Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim up or Brim Down

Uhu

Familiar Face
I think a young face can get away with a brim up Fedora/Trilby and look good. Its a friendly, I-don't-take-myself-too-seriously look. An older guy should get a Homburg.

I think a young face can get away with a brim up Fedora/Trilby and look good. Its a friendly, I-don't-take-myself-too-seriously look. An older guy should get a Homburg.

There are more ways to wear a hat than skin a cat. Young or old.

031017_1.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I always wear the brim down unless it's a Homburg. I imagine my Disney dark navy hat would look good brim up as it has a pretty thick, triple stitched overwelt , but I don't like the look on me...

Okay, I don't consult crystals or chicken bones but my hats do speak to me. It just seems that a hat tells me what the brim should do. Some hats it screams to be snapped down, others are best flat, and some flipped up. Then I choose the hat/brim that fits my mood, dress and the occasion. I agree that "brims up" are a way more casual look that these days I lean strongly toward. I like the "flip attitude" of an upturned brim.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
2 1/8" brim with significant curl, worn up. A slight tug down front and back helps I think.

newfeather1.jpg

As the next poster put it, the slight dip in the brim makes all the difference. It looks elegant yet casual, not at all like Ed Norton's hat.

One of these days I'll experiment with a hat to see if I can manage such a brim treatment, and if I can look right in it. Until then, I'm a brim down in front/up in back guy. (Many of you have suggested that a brim ~ 2" could benefit from this. It so happens I have a Champ OR clone with a 2" brim . . .)

Oh, and many of you have mentioned Archie Bunker, and Ed Norton. What about "Slip" Mahoney from the Bowery Boys? He wore his battered fedora that way too.

Last edited:

hatsandcanes

Familiar Face
As I look at the many pictures on this site, I have noticed the majority of people wear their brim snapped down. I have some I wear snapped down but prefer the look of my brim snapped up. I would like to hear peoples take on this. I have watched a lot of movies with Fedora wearer's in it and have seen them both ways. Is their an un-written rule about the correct way to wear a fedora or is it personal preference? Thanks for any thoughts!
PS: I am referring to the front brim!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner