Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broken Stitches

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
@mygar, Im surprised the shipping quotes you received are so high. where is this shipping from?
Squeeze that thing into the smallest box you can and bring it to the post office and send it back to Aero. Im pretty sure they will make good on a repair.

*( was this from the recent sale? or bought new at full price?)

My other thought is to send it to these folks in Illinois:

http://www.greatleather.com/services.htm

recommended on the Good Wear website for jacket repairs

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I sent a jacket to the States for $23 last month, via Royal Mail. If I was th OP, I’d have bit more of a look for reasonable postal service.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Companies get big volume discounts on courier shipping. I can overnight a FedEx package very reasonably through my company's account, but I have to pay through the nose as a individual customer.

I suggest asking Aero for their cost and see if they'll issue a waybill through their account that they can bill you for. They charge 40 GBP, which is about half what DHL is quoting you.

When I purchased my Wayfarer and had a problem with the zipper after wearing it a few times, they didn't charge anything for shipping or repair, because it was new and under warranty. I'm surprised that they're charging you, but I guess for a sale deal you aren't getting the same level of service.

If it worries you, you should be able to return it for refund, rather than be stuck with paying for the repair and shipping costs. Those would probably nullify the savings for buying a sale jacket, and at that point you are better off going custom or buying secondhand.

I've owned a lot of Aero's jackets, but only 5 were purchased direct from them. One I returned, two were repaired at no cost to me, and one was never shipped due to an unfortunate outcome with the zipper replacement. The others were all purchased secondhand, mostly through ebay, for a good discount. All were good jackets.

mygar

A-List Customer
There are internal stitches, too: the top stitching won't cause the leather to 'spring out'. There may or may not also be stitching work that anchors everything in place at the junctions where parts meet.

The stitches that are broken are internal not the top stitches.. but yes i understand what you are saying

mygar

A-List Customer
Well, to be honest, Aero can't be blamed for the high shipping and if I understand this correctly, seems to me like while they definitely agreed to do something about the issue, they just can't commit to how they'd go about it until they see the extent of the problem, right?

But any of the three options, either the repair, refund or a new jacket, sounds to me like as fair of a deal as you can get. . .

Problem is the shipping, of course. Have you looked into Johnson Leathers?

Well most clothing companies in the States will provide return postage for a defective item... at least my experience.

Yes.. there is johnson leathers but they are not cheap either. Nothing in San Francisco is cheap lol...

I have inquired about alterations with JL in the past and determined its best to move the jacket along then pay for them

mygar

A-List Customer
I sent a jacket to the States for $23 last month, via Royal Mail. If I was th OP, I’d have bit more of a look for reasonable postal service.

I will look more... but i asked why it was only 60 or so to ship here but 325 to ship back. Namely its all about volume that affects cost

robrinay

One Too Many
Have you asked about USPS flat rate box shipping with insurance? I had an original very heavy US postal satchel shipped to me in one and it was a great deal cheaper than your quote. If you do post it back be sure to mark the customs label as a return to save tax.

mygar

A-List Customer
@mygar, Im surprised the shipping quotes you received are so high. where is this shipping from?
Squeeze that thing into the smallest box you can and bring it to the post office and send it back to Aero. Im pretty sure they will make good on a repair.

*( was this from the recent sale? or bought new at full price?)

My other thought is to send it to these folks in Illinois:

http://www.greatleather.com/services.htm

recommended on the Good Wear website for jacket repairs

I will look around more at other shipping alternatives... this jacket was purchased from their recent sale and sold as new

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is very surprising indeed... as @Carlos840 has mentioned, it clearly is a QC mistake. And in these cases, large (relatively) companies such as Aero should normally send you an email with mailing instructions and a return label to print out... not ask you to cover shipping.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
If I cant get reasonable shipping... then almost any scenario cost wise does not make sense. Also DHL is quoting me MUCH higher US 325.00

But actually, at this point, I think it is what it is... and I really don't want to do any further business with a company like this...

I will happily buy from another company who will stand behind their work.
Yeah, I can't blame you for feeling that way. It's very different from how they've treated me when I've had a problem.

mygar

A-List Customer
IMPORTANT UPDATE :)

Ok, I was contacted by another representative from Aero who explained there was some confusion on handling my inquiry. The person who contacted me previously works in dispatch and does not handle returns due to defects, etc.

This new representative was very apologetic and offered me two options:

1: Keep the jacket and monitor for any spread of these broken stitches...and if so they of course would pay for shipping and repair - they explained that further spread is unlikely due to secondary stitching and how the jacket is constructed. In return they would offer 20% off on next purchase.

2. Return the jacket for repair and they would pay for shipping.

So, I am much happier they are standing behind their work. Especially since I have been eyeing their hooch hauler :)

My biggest concern was that broken stitches spreading and becoming a big problem... but if this will not occur its not a big deal in my view. You cannot see this flaw unless you inspect carefully.

So, I will go with option 1 ... and most likely use the discount towards a purchase of a hooch hauler.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Ok, I was contacted by another representative from Aero who explained there was some confusion on handling my inquiry. The person who contacted me previously works in dispatch and does not handle returns due to defects, etc.

1: Keep the jacket and monitor for any spread of these broken stitches...and if so they of course would pay for shipping and repair - they explained that further spread is unlikely due to secondary stitching and how the jacket is constructed. In return they would offer 20% off on next purchase.

So, I am much happier they are standing behind their work. Especially since I have been eyeing their hooch hauler :)

My biggest concern was that broken stitches spreading and becoming a big problem... but if this will not occur its not a big deal in my view. You cannot see this flaw unless you inspect carefully.

So, I will go with option 1 ... and most likely use the discount towards a purchase of a hooch hauler.
That's more like it!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is certainly a much better response!

Option 1 for sure...those stitches won't ever fail and now you've got yourself a nice little discount on jacket number 2!!!

mygar

A-List Customer
Ok, as some folks may have noticed I deleted some of my posts that put forward any negativity towards Aero. They explained the confusion and offered acceptable options that proves they stand behind their work. And I want to make sure that this is clearly messaged here on the forum. As in life ... things happen :p

Ok, as some folks may have noticed I deleted some of my posts that put forward any negativity towards Aero. They explained the confusion and offered acceptable options that proves they stand behind their work. And I want to make sure that this is clearly messaged here on the forum. As in life ... things happen :p
Aero has arguably the best CS on the planet. When I broke the zipper pull on my j-106 they had two sent out to as as replacements that arrived within a week. I was sure there had to be some crossed wires in the comms somewhere...

mygar

A-List Customer
Now this sounds more like Aero to me. I've been buying their jackets off and on since 2000. Their customer service has always been stellar and they've always gone the extra mile for me. I knew that something wasn't jiving.
HD

I can only tell you the last aero rep responded completely different and took care of it. As a result, current jacket issue resolved and another order planned in future

zebedee

One Too Many
Can you keep us posted on whether any unstitching occurs? It would be interesting to know. In years and years, my Highwayman has never lost more than a stitch or two (or four), and none of them has led to any structural weakness at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24