Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Leather Jacket Collar Question - How to Keep it from Getting Nasty?

willyto

One Too Many
Just wipe it off with a cloth after each wear if you aren’t wearing a shirt with collar and your neck is touching the leather.

The change of colour is unavoidable with lighter leathers, specially natural ones.

Every time I wear these two if I touch my face or something and then the jacket my grease stains the leather, it is what it is. Nothing you can do about it. I have stains now that I don’t even know how they got there.

C4C80A5B-D8D7-494E-ABF8-AF6E368A437D.jpeg

EF67C295-5F9B-43A4-BD90-B08A70DD0FE3.jpeg

04F34CF1-7DDE-456C-AB21-2314DD44E22D.jpeg

earl

A-List Customer
Yup, prefer brown leather over black but the 1 brown leather I owned ended up with such oil stain on the collar, I swore off it and now only own a couple of black leathers.

dlite90

Familiar Face
Popped in this thread to ask what TFLers in general use to wipe their jackets clean (without going to the cleaners, not a deep clean).
If I lived in a rural area or suburbia I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm in NYC, touching all kinds of dirty surfaces on a daily basis, and the girlfriend insists I clean my jackets regularly.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Popped in this thread to ask what TFLers in general use to wipe their jackets clean (without going to the cleaners, not a deep clean).
If I lived in a rural area or suburbia I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm in NYC, touching all kinds of dirty surfaces on a daily basis, and the girlfriend insists I clean my jackets regularly.
Not different than daily cleaning of your leather shoes after wear. Slightly dampened cloth and brush. Just as shoe cream is not for daily cleaning of shoes, most if not all "easy to use" leather cleaners are for leather that appears a bit dry in addition to being dusty/dirty/moldy. There are leather wipes for sofa and car seat etc but some shoes and jackets are not dyed through and colour fast like your sofa. I do occasionally use leather wipes to remove mold and dirt from chrome tanned dyed through items but I would not recommend using those on your shiniki or CXL etc.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I also brush my jacket like I brush my boots. The bugs were out in full force this past week, just before it starts to get cold and they start to die off.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Regarding maintenance of leather, is there a way to get the sheen back on a brown CXL steerhide? Mine is well worn for the past year and I noticed that the sheen has been diminished. This is not actually a bad thing or a problem, however if I do feel like putting the sheen back on, if possible, I would like to know what to use, assuming it does not harm the leather.

Regarding maintenance of leather, is there a way to get the sheen back on a brown CXL steerhide? Mine is well worn for the past year and I noticed that the sheen has been diminished. This is not actually a bad thing or a problem, however if I do feel like putting the sheen back on, if possible, I would like to know what to use, assuming it does not harm the leather.
Blackrock works great at getting the CXL back to OG condition. It’s got a lot of wax in it, so you get sheen not shine.
51A1DEC5-E2B0-4216-B966-08669717342D.jpeg
DF8E90E1-1664-4C11-B792-68237DBFFEA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Blackrock works great at getting the CXL back to OG condition. It’s got a lot of wax in it, so you get sheen not shine.
View attachment 455460
View attachment 455459
That is true, the Urad finish is really shiny. Not a bad thing in itself if the original finish was shiny, but if we are talking about restoring a mild sheen, then other treatments are probably better.

Yango

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero Half Belt in Battered Tan, and I love the thing to death, except I'm reluctant to wear it because the inside of the collar is getting just nasty - or on the verge of getting nasty. Like, I'm okay with the jacket looking worn and getting darker and scratched with use, but the collar seems to be problematic, turning black from oils in my neck.

Aside from only wearing it with a hoodie, (which is what I've mostly resorted to) what can I do to clean it/keep it clean without damaging the leather. I've been told everything from vinegar to saddle soap, but I don't want to do more harm than good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Photo tax: View attachment 453184
So… what did you decide to try, and how did it work for you?

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
+1 for Blackrock, it’s a light conditioner and has enough wax to restore some sheen. Use a horsehair brush afterward and you’re golden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ