Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BROWN with BLACK or VICE VERSA?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
For those who may be looking for a new brown hat with a black ribbon, the Stetson Temple in "Tawny" is exactly that. Here's mine.

Hats004.jpg

I found at least one vendor who still lists it. (Third hat in top row of color choices.)

http://www.hats-plus.com/p-142-stetson-temple-fedora-hat.aspx

suitedcboy

One Too Many
"There certainly was such a thing as being well dressed then, and you could tell who was and who cared. Of course that's different from "fashion." They also kept it quieter - it wasn't the kind of thing you talked about too openly or too often for fear of being thought frivolous.

The rest? I guess they were lucky to live in an era when the general level of taste was somewhat higher.

I'm 51 and I recall going with my dad to men's stores when he would shop. In the day men didn't self-serve very much at all. Dept stores and of course, REAL men's stores, had plenty qualified sales clerks who helped you and you very likely had a relationship with. They remembered your measurements and your preferences and they co-ordinated things for you. The things they co-ordinated included the hat or they sent you to the hat dept and they assisted and advised you in the selection of the proper hat.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Suitedcboy has a point. Even if some (or most) men were not concerning themselves with fashion and all that went with it, they had less of a need. Gone are the days of having knowledgeable assistance in coordinating.

I have spent my life seperating my brown/green scale from my gray/blue/black scale, but mostly because it's safe. Undertones, shades, textures, and accessories can make or break most color combinations. Make the wrong choices and you look like a guy who can't dress. Make the right choices and "any color" can work with "any other color."

Recently, I have opened up to more daring choices; A black hat with a green ribbon; wearing brown and blue, or brown and purple. I've always liked tan and black for some reason. [huh] I actually wear it together now. Also, having only black and gray winter overcoats (happenstance caused by availability and budget), I have been forced to ignore some taboos in order to actually wear the clothes I own.

So, here's me mixing it up with black, green, and tan.
3994098687_0bd626ccc9.jpg

And here, forced by my own shirt to make a hat choice between brown and black...

3871459511_ea9935ff62.jpg

By the by; I'm pretty much one deep breath away from mixing gray and green!

High Pockets

Practically Family
I'm always more confused than ever after reading the "guidlines". It all seems to turn to mud in my head.
My only solution to this problem is to keep my hats in a seperate room and only consider my choice after I'm completely dressed and standing in front of a mirror with several hats in hand.
The hat that looks best on my head in the mirror is the one I wear.

After all,.......where I live everyone else is dressed like either Charlie Brown, Tony Romo or Toby Keith and I honestly couldn't care less what they think.:D

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
By the by; I'm pretty much one deep breath away from mixing gray and green!

But Mr NotBogart! Grey with Green trims is this season's 'It' combo (witness the current Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone with grey/green band). No deep breath needed. Just do it - and you'll be a star!

Again!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
For those who may be looking for a new brown hat with a black ribbon, the Stetson Temple in "Tawny" is exactly that. Here's mine.

Hats004.jpg

I found at least one vendor who still lists it. (Third hat in top row of color choices.)

http://www.hats-plus.com/p-142-stetson-temple-fedora-hat.aspx
Now THAT is one gorgeous hat! I have been wanting to see a Temple in that color. Wow! Have you had it long, JT? I'm curious if Stetson has solved their problem of colors that run. I love the color and shape of the Temple. I have one in mink (well, technically...I ordered it but my size is on backorder until next week) and another in caribou.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
Now THAT is one gorgeous hat! I have been wanting to see a Temple in that color. ... I love the color and shape of the Temple.

I meant to say, before, that I really like that color. The Temple does not compliment my face very well, but it's nice to see a lighter brown in a current production mainstream lid. Now, if only the Nostalgia came in that color...

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
Have you had it long, JT? I'm curious if Stetson has solved their problem of colors that run.

I've had it for about a year. (It's getting harder to remember when I bought a particular hat.)

The idea that Stetson colors run (and that somebody else's colors don't) keeps popping up, from time to time. Rather than rely on hearsay, I conducted two experiments.

(1) I designated a new Stetson Temple (Sage color) to be my regular rain hat. This was about a year ago, and it has seen both heavy and light rains. I never got dye stains on a shirt collar or jacket. I did notice that, after a light rain, the hat was "spotted" from raindrops. A good brushing took care of this. It seems the "spots" were the result of the nap laying down, and drying at a different angle than the sections of felt that did not get wet, not from color running..

(2) I got a new Akubra Federation Deluxe (Black), from Hats Direct. It was a
regular oval, and was uncomfortable on my long oval head. I was also having trouble getting the crease (AKA "bash") I wanted. So, I removed the liner, and soaked the hat in a sink full of cold water for about an hour. The shaping went perfectly, and I love the hat, but I ended up with a sink full of black water!

For what it is worth, I pass these observations on, not as what I heard someone else say, but as my own firsthand experiences. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner