Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buco j27 jackets - originals and repros

trapp

Practically Family
The Brooks, Ralph Edwards and Reed PJ and J-27 STYLE jackets that I have seen have been subtly different from the Buco ones e.g. two handwarmer pockets, single belt loops or no belt loops, squarer chest pocket flap, stud cuffs on the ralph Edwards etc.)

Plumbline, can you clarify what you mean by 'single belt loops' as a discerning difference between originals and some copies? Those originals that do feature belt loops (which seem to be many, if not most) have what I would consider single belt loops. I know you have something in mind but I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The single width belt loops are about 1/2-3/4" wide ( similar in style to those seen on the PJ-27 ) the generally had a stud fastener at the top ... the double width loops ( pic of the J-27 in post 27) are as shown on the J-27 and J-15 which are about 1 3/4" - 2" wide and were a fixed feature on the jacket ( sewn in) and not studded

trapp

Practically Family
Plumbline...Thanks.

This is interesting: a Japanese site features these pics of a PJ-27 that appears to have a very early label that may place it in the 40s. And speaking of mouton collars....

40sbucopj27withmoulton-1_zps1e45c2f6.jpg
[/URL]

No idea if the mouton collar is original..

40sbucopj27withmoulton-2_zps8fd232e6.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
From a different Japanese site.

Anyone hazard a guess on the price listed on that tag?

bucopj27horsehidejapan-1_zps326635f2.jpg
[/URL]

I love this shot of the pocket.

bucopj27horsehidejapan-2_zps2f51ad12.jpg
[/URL]

Schnur_bohnen

New in Town
I just joined up and enjoyed catching up on this thread (though it seems to have dropped off the map). I purchased a vintage Schott J-27 jacket about 2 years ago, but ended up parting with it because the size was a bit on the small side for me. Several months later, found a Ralph Edwards model on the 'bay and grabbed that one. It has been a fantastic jacket, but one that I have found sits in the closet most of the time with me often grabbing lighter-weight leather out the door.

As such, I've decided to attempt selling it off and moving on to something else...what that is time will tell. I'll be putting up an ad here in the Classifieds but it's also on ebay right now. For the purposes of this thread being a depository for all things PJ-27, I'll embed the pics of my jacket here for all those wishing to reference the ralph edwards version.
i-vJQHZj6-S.jpg
i-mTZ6zhz-S.jpg
i-8mhn82s-S.jpg
i-Z4LcwHV-S.jpg
i-x724HcV-S.jpg
i-MThZcp9-S.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters