Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buco J65 – Early 50’s Joseph Buegeleisen Co. jacket in size 44

Kunja

Practically Family
Here is a beautiful and very rare J65 from Joseph Buegeleisen Co. Detroit. This is an incredible antique motorcycle jacket circa 1951 in a nice and wearable size 44.

Condition is very good for its age, tons of real patina but no weak spots, its ready to be a daily wearer. All of the Serval and Conmar zips work fine, as do the studs. A previous owner (I think 58panheadfan) replaced the lining with a new old stock quilted material very similar to the original, and with the convenient addition of an interior pocket. This jacket is very comfortable to wear.

2 front pockets, zipped
1 breast pocket, zipped
1 inside pocket
Sleeve zippers
Action back
United Carr rivets
W-collar

There are numerous high-end modern reproductions of Buco jackets on the market at any given time, but very few original survivors, and certainly none as rare as the J65 model. Here is one.

$1000 PPFF delivered in the US.

Thanks for looking and questions welcomed.

buco-J65-kunja-1.jpg
buco-J65-kunja-2.jpg
buco-J65-kunja-4.jpg
buco-J65-kunja-9.jpg
buco-J65-kunja-10.jpg
buco-J65-kunja-11.jpg

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Right.

But the delicacy of 70+ old leather
I have several older motorcycle jackets that I truly rock when I ride my Harley or Ducati. I purchased my first buco j24 in 1979. I rocked it often. Now it looks great actually better than my newer original j24. As things are for me, I gain too much weight and no longer can use it. Bucos are strong jackets. As many other jackets, the thread is sometimes the problem due to terrible conditioner used and other things.

Right.

But the delicacy of 70+ old leather or is it not delicate and I'm over thinking it.

Wear the heck outta them. If the hide isn’t rotting or cracking, the next issue to consider is the stitching. But in my experience this is more of a concern with even older jackets. Obviously right?!? Lol.

This jacket seems solid to me and I wouldn’t hesitate if it fit. It’s a rare beauty.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I concur with Jmax. about the leather and stitching. Yes, I do have more jackets than I can give regular wear, and some I keep for social events not cutting trees, running my dog, or working the property or in my shop. But I am not averse to wearing a 70-year-old leather jacket as it was intended to be worn. I am careful to only purchase vintage jackets in prim condition, they cost more, but then I can wear them.
My daily winter jacket has been a 70-year-old Cal Leather for three winners. It had more wear when I received it than this Buco.
Sorry about the long reply, I forgot I was in a classified thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW