Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffalo felt

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yes Velour today is a dry process (shark skin and cut). Bahner makes a wet Velour brushing machine.

Of course, Bahner has a machine for that! ;)

It's with finishes like with colors: Call them, what you like ... everyone else does. The old fine velours seem to be scratched and shorn several times. At least, their "fur" seems so much more complex, compared to modern "velour" or "suede" finishes, shorn to one - and only one - length(?)

LLX 140 is 100% hare.

Do you know that from FEPSA?

Of course, Bahner has a machine for that! ;)

It's with finishes like with colors: Call them, what you like ... everyone else does. The old fine velours seem to be scratched and shorn several times. At least, their "fur" seems so much more complex, compared to modern "velour" or "suede" finishes, shorn to one - and only one - length(?)

From what I have read those dry methods were not considered Real (Echter) Velour. The hot / wet brushing was a key component. Also the fur content (Saxon Hare), Mercury stain (especially for Hare felts) and other additives such as white Arsenic (gave the luster / shine) were very important.

If they use the Bahner machines to make the Melusine or Satin / Carded my guess is they run the felts through once and there isn't much reworking. From what I have read regarding hand (it's possible it became machine assisted) brushing it was done prior to and after dying. It was repeated many times and after every brushing the hair would have to be clipped (by machine). Also might have to go back through the dye process.

Last edited:
LLX 140 is 100% hare.

Yes that would make sense since Hare (but what type?) is the best choice for long hair finishes. I am very interested to know what type of stain they use (as I mentioned Hare is hard to felt) and if they use a small amount of Beaver or Nurtria to aid the felting processes. I know they say 100% Hare but as I mentioned the highest Quality Velours had small amounts of raw and stained Nutria or Muskrat or Beaver to aid the felting process.

Last edited:
Be a little careful with those informations in the store and the outlet. They are quite often incorrect/imprecise.

Hare would make sense regarding the finish although I am skeptical about the 100% distinction. Also as I mentioned above, what type of Hare and what type of stain (other additives)? Does FEPSA process pelts or are they sourced?

Last edited:
I remember that one, Garrett ... it's a definite beauty! I too think, the "Bison" designation points to the finish and/or color, though :)

I don't believe I have come across (historical) the use of Bison (Buffalo, Steer) fur for felt hats. Has anyone? I could see using the leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot