Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buried with your hat on ?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that." Philip Marlowe, The Big Sleep

Marlowe nicely sums up my view on the matter. Once I'm dead I don't care what happens to me, so I'd be quite happy to be cremated as I am and my possessions to be passed on.

I already know that my Stetson Chatham would go to my mol since it suits her very well and I was wearing it when we met. Perhaps I'll put a note in my will for my two vintage suits and my few vintage pieces to be sold on the classifieds here as I don't know anyone who'd want them and I know that way they'd fall into good hands.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
I already know that my Stetson Chatham would go to my mol since it suits her very well and I was wearing it when we met.

That isn't the Chatham you were trying to sell in the classifieds? Did you two have a spat and then make up?

(Since we're talking about death, figured I could get personal :))

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
St. James Infirmary Blues

"Now, when I die, bury me in straight-leg britches,
Put on a box-back coat and my John B. Stetson hat,
Put a twenty-dollar gold piece on my watch chain,
So all the boys will know that I died standing pat."

~Anon

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
That isn't the Chatham you were trying to sell in the classifieds? Did you two have a spat and then make up?

(Since we're talking about death, figured I could get personal :))
I don't recall ever having tried to sell my Chatham and I only have the one in carribou. I've unsuccessfully tried to sell another of my hats a year ago, but never the Chatham. It doesn't have a massive amount of sentimental value to me as it's just a hat which has been replaced by others, I just imagine it would be special to her should I prematurely die and be cremated.

And no, things have been doing nicely since I met her in May. :) You may go as personal as you like as I have no qualms in telling the truth.

frussell

One Too Many
recent experience

Last March when my grandfather passed away, he was to be cremated. I tried to get his wife to send him off in his boots and his favorite hat, but she couldn't bear to part with them. His pure beaver Stetson hat still hangs on the back of his favorite chair, and she gave all his boots to me. I was content to put a pinch of his favorite tobacco in his pocket for the journey. I told my wife right afterward that I wanted my best boots ON, and my favorite hat on my chest, as is customary as far as I know, at least in a coffin. After all, if you're lying down, you'll be smashing the back of the brim. She has agreed, since nobody else I know wears a hat or boots as big as mine. I hope she keeps her word, I don't want to wander bareheaded in the afterlife. Frank

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I think that if I've managed to lose enough weight and kept it off to do so I may stipulate that I be buried in my service dress uniform. If that is the case then a flight cap will be in the coffin with me, not a hat.

Regards,
Tom

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Ugarte said:
If I'm not mistaken, etiquette dictates that the hat is set to rest on the decedent's chest above his/her folded hands. Of course, not being an authority on any funerary customs, I could be wrong.

Mark

That may be the case for the ceremony, but I believe come burial time, the hat is placed in between the feet. Don't ask me why; this is what I've read was tradition in the Victorian age. I've further read that this is where the superstition regarding hats on beds came from: The only time one would see a hat placed where someone would be lying down was inside of a casket.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Go big or go home. If I'm wearin' my hat, my hat's gettin' blowed up.
:D
hunterblastbig.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
"... while hidden weights and spring tip my hat to the mourners filing past," ...

"I am more concerned with the Rock of Ages than the age of rocks."

Personally, I'm planning to pass on my collection ... hopefully to some appropriately appreciative hat hog who will love them and pet them and pass them on again in another generation

What they do with the rest of me is of absolutely no consequence

I'll be on to bigger and better things by then PTL!

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy