Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Suit With Oversized Pants

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I found a suit jacket I like, but the pants that come with it are too large - I normally wear a 31/32, but these are a 34. Is it worth buying the suit and having the pants tailored?

I have had suit pants this size altered successfully before, but I was willing to take the risk since the suit only cost $15. (Incidentally, it is now my favorite suit.) This suit costs considerably more.

Bugsy

One Too Many
I found a suit jacket I like, but the pants that come with it are too large - I normally wear a 31/32, but these are a 34. Is it worth buying the suit and having the pants tailored?

I have had suit pants this size altered successfully before, but I was willing to take the risk since the suit only cost $15. (Incidentally, it is now my favorite suit.) This suit costs considerably more.

I good tailor should be able to alter the trousers just fine. You might also try wearing braces with them rather than a belt.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have been looking at suits pretty recently. Mind you, they were all modern-made, off the rack, but while a 40R coat is fine on me, the pant size is definitely not; too loose and baggy, not even my waist size. Are 34 or 36 waist pants the norm with 40 regular suit coats?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Generally, with new OTR trousers the waist can be taken in up to two inches or so without negatively effecting the cut of the trousers; any amount greater and you may need the trousers to be re-cut, which requires a competent tailor and a small pile of greenbacks.

Note: With pre-owned/vintage, the previous owner may have had the waist taken in already in which case you may need a re-cut. I would consider Bugsy's recommendation of braces if you want to dodge that hassle.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I've successfully had a pair of trousers taken in four inches from a 36 to a 32. I still can't understand why the creases didn't get messed up. However this was a cheap modern suit, and I don't think I'd do this to a vintage suit, especially if it has a fishtail back.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Thanks for all the replies.

Indeed. Incidentally, I decided not to buy the suit today: I realized that the jacket waist was too large.

Yeah, altering jackets can get pretty expensive, pretty fast. Although, depending on construction and how much you're talking about taking in a jacket waist, it can be done at a reasonable price. But if the chest needs taking in, it'll cost a pretty penny, and if the shoulders are too big forget about it!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought three suits online by jacket size. I am a 46 R jacket but I wear a 37-38 inch waist so I needed two inches taken in and the pants hemmed. I could not pass up the deal on ebay since I got all three suits for 100 dollars total and they were brand new. I took the pants to the local seamstress and she worked wonders. It looks like a big time tailor did them and it was much cheaper. So my suggestion is buy the pants and go to someone you trust. If you do not have a rapport with anyone shop around and take the pants in and just plain ask them what they can do. I have found that these type of places will be quite honest with you because they do not want to mess up your pants and cause negative word of mouth.

hottoddy

New in Town
I face a similar problem. My jacket is 44R but wear a 33 inch waist, and about 30 length. The stock 44 suits typically come with 38 inch pants with a crotch down near my knees. The tailored product always looks a bit baggy. Granted I have only got the standard waist/inseam treatment in the past. I hope to do better on my next batch.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have one suit that has the baggy look and obviously it is not my favorite I have found just to be extremely precise about what you want and they willl make it work

Fifty150

One Too Many
Unfortunately, if you are broad chested, wide shouldered, and have an athletic build, off the rack suits won't work. The pants can really only be taken in, or let out, by no more than two inches. Consider where the pockets and pleats are. You just can't wear pants with the front pleats at the side seams, and back pockets that meet. If you don't have an "off the rack" body, then bespoken is the only way to go. Or you can just wear your pants like a rap star, sag them so that your boxers show, let the cuffs bunch up around the ankles of your Timberlands, and be done with it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... You just can't wear pants with the front pleats at the side seams, and back pockets that meet. ....
Actually, a GOOD tailor would fix that, well at least the back pockets. I had a pair of those back in the late 1970's. 42 Long, 30 inch waist, and 36 inch inseam. Pants that came with the 42 long jacket were 40 inch waist and 38 inch inseam I believe. I remember the waist though.

later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails