Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying jackets on Japanese auction sites

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
if I remember correctly I had a support platform to select and the $50 selection said it included shipping. Am I missing something? I did not save the order page to refresh my memory and have not gotten a statement of an invoice like most of my internet transactions.
edit going back to the auction it seems what I paid is an estimate that is not what it appeared to me when I placed my order. I am on a :):)learning curve but seems along the line of what I have been reading here. Customs is a nonissue for a US jacket re-entering the US. I have two goals here first and foremost acquire a jacket I have been seeking for 15 years. Second, open up new venues to find 1950s and earlier US leather jackets. Just today It was brought to my attention someone found a 1950s black Trojan the same size as the white one I am buying at a considerably less price. I am very happy for them maybe a little jealous, but the point is new markets for vintage US leather jackets are opening . :)
Now I see they offer a new service called "Ship Directly" and you pay the estimate in advance.

jeo

One Too Many
Could it be DHL shipments are more likely to be charged of duty fees compared to EMS (for US and Canada)?

That's what I was thinking at first since I got 4 jackets through EMS and no duty and then the first time with DHL and I had to pay duty, but I really have no clue.

Motocann

One Too Many
I would like to start a thread where information and instructions for buying jackets from Japan
I have a few questions to start off with.
I am assuming that the reference to Japanese auctions I found on the outerwear forum is different than the jackets on eBay from Japan?
I noticed many references to proxy Japanese sellers on eBay is here a way to identify eBay proxy sellers?
What are the Japanese auction sites?
What are the Japanese auction sites Proxy bidding options?
Below is an example of two sellers in Japan with the same picture of the same jacket and almost $800 differential pricing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AERO-LEATHER-Authentic-Patrolman-Horsehide-Leather-Jacket-40-Used-from-Japan/143894463800?hash=item2180c74538:g:-LIAAOSw42Nf4gGs&LH_ItemCondition=3000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Leather-Patrol-Man-Horsehide-Police-Jacket-size-40-Used-Rare/274630248381?hash=item3ff13d07bd:g:Sz8AAOSwc1Ff7CZ4&LH_ItemCondition=3000
Speaking of Japan... I always wanted to visit the Lewis Leather shop there. My understanding is the Japanese LL are cut slimmer.

Blackadder

Speaking of Japan... I always wanted to visit the Lewis Leather shop there. My understanding is the Japanese LL are cut slimmer.
LL offers a T cut presumably trim cut on some of their models. Some dealers outside Japan also have those 441T.

jonbuilder

I went back over the fees buyee add to the jacket sale price 500 JPY for the insured delivery plan I had thought this included the shipping cost to me? Also, I paid 300 JPY for buyee service fee and 200 JPY for the payment fee.
I am starting to think the shipping plan fee is just a handling fee in addition to the carrier's shipping charges?

Last edited:

Blackadder

I went back over the fees buyee add to the jacket sale price 500 JPY for the insured delivery plan I had thought this included the shipping cost to me? Also, I paid 300 JPY for buyee service fee and 200 JPY for the payment fee.
I am starting to think the shipping plan fee is just a handling fee in addition to the carrier's shipping charges?
300 yen basic plan is simply to provide you with the Tokyo address and forward the item without even taking a peep into the package. Additional 500 yen for "insurance" or the buyee inspection service which means they will open it and see if it matches the item bought (does not mean they will do a QC). 200 yen is the bank transfer fee since some sellers do not accept online payment.

willyto

One Too Many
Now I see they offer a new service called "Ship Directly" and you pay the estimate in advance.
I always end up paying more that way and you don't get to choose courier. I prefer to ship it to the warehouse and then combine shipping or ship individually with DHL.

By the way sometimes they give you coupons to remove the fees for example or % of discount to the final price.

air

One of the Regulars
I always Juno@Bidservice, never any issues no taxes ever

afaik customs depend heavily on the shipping method, couriers like dhl include "customs clearance service" which means they declare everything that you send through them, and obviously you get charged import taxes when applicable. The upside is that everything gets handled very quickly, since they act as a middleman between you and customs officers so your package doesn't spend time stuck in a customs warehouse.
Other carriers, like national post, may not declare items and save you some money, but if your item gets flagged it may take a while before customs or your courier contacts you, depending on the speed of bureaucracy in your country.

jonbuilder

So far the buying process appears to be moving as I expected. The auction site shows the Trojan jacket has sold. The seller is covering shipping to buyee. I paid $100 to buyee in addition to the listed jacket price. $50 for shipping and $50 for a buyers commission and some other fee. I have not yet heard back from buyee they did mention two days to complete the transaction. I would expect that buyee will notify me when they ship the jacket to me and give me some notification when they complete the transaction with the jacket seller. I will post all notices I receive here so other novices like me see the process unfold. I did not notice where I have any shipping options to select or what carrier buyee will use.
To update the Trojan jacket that started this tread is in transit to Redwood City I expect to see it Dec 15. I did select DHL $56 to ship from buyee to me. The only hiccup so far is buyee emails went into my spam folder and I was left wondering what was going on. I forgot my login, but buyee made it easy to select and pay for shipping without logging by going directly from their email. So the final cost to me on top of the sales price which including shipping to buyee is $156.
Now for the jacket and if I can wear it

jonbuilder

The first issue with my Japanese auction site purchase through buyee is I received notice from DHL that $256 US custom duty needs to be paid. There is no US custom duty on US goods returning to the US. I phone DHL left a voice message and received a return call from DHL. The issue is the buyee agent listed the jacket as originated from Japan. DHL representative told me they would try and correct the import papers to get the fee waived.
The lesson is when buying US goods like a US jacket through buyee, make sure you instruct buyee how to fill out the customs papers to indicate the jacket was made/originated in the US. There is a form for his purpose.

edit; I have sent an email to support@buyee explaining

Last edited:

sweetfights

The first issue with my Japanese auction site purchase through buyee is I received notice from DHL that $256 US custom duty needs to be paid. There is no US custom duty on US goods returning to the US. I phone DHL left a voice message and received a return call from DHL. The issue is the buyee agent listed the jacket as originated from Japan. DHL representative told me they would try and correct the import papers to get the fee waived.
The lesson is when buying US goods like a US jacket through buyee, make sure you instruct buyee how to fill out the customs papers to indicate the jacket was made/originated in the US. There is a form for his purpose.

edit; I have sent an email to support@buyee explaining
That sucks!!!

jonbuilder

DHL was able to reduce my customs fee from $256 to $77 because the buyee invoice said originated in Japan they were not able to waive the fee. There is a form on the customs website I will need to complete and send to US customs to get My $77 returned from US customs.
Terry contacted buyee and apparently, they do all invoices the same, goods made in Japan. Hopefully, we can convince buyee to change the way they fill out custom on US jackets, although I guess there are not many members buying US jackets through buyee.

jonbuilder

My Trojan arrived 3 days late due to sorting out custom fees with DHL. DHL did work to lessen the blow.
the star my new Trojan comes with disappointments and some relief. I do plan a complete review of the jacket but not here. This tread I want to stay on the buying on Japanese auction site issues. My first disappointment is the color of the jacket in hand is more white and less cream than my monitor displayed.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
From auction site
456971D6-2D16-4C42-9109-5508585A7DEE_1_105_c.jpeg

My picture looks more white less cream

Next, the jacket has a cut through the leather that the description says "right chest wrinkle 1 cm image 9" I can not say if the discrepancy is the translation of the seller pushing off a slice in the leather. The photo of the slice looks like the jacket was folded to hide the full impact.

8C4805E8-AA71-4B4B-A815-32E00CDDEA86_1_105_c.jpeg

At this point, I do not know if I can return the jacket but I am not going to attempt to return it.
On the positive I can zip up the jacket, it is sung and the sleeves are an inch shorter than I would prefer but doable. I feel more comfortable in this original Trojan than the Lost Worlds size 44 I tried.

I have not decided if I will post a full review in a dedicated thread or go to the vintage leather jacket tread I am leaning towards a dedicated thread.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Trojan arrived 3 days late due to sorting out custom fees with DHL. DHL did work to lessen the blow.
the star my new Trojan comes with disappointments and some relief. I do plan a complete review of the jacket but not here. This tread I want to stay on the buying on Japanese auction site issues. My first disappointment is the color of the jacket in hand is more white and less cream than my monitor displayed. View attachment 302341 From auction site
View attachment 302342
My picture looks more white less cream

Next, the jacket has a cut through the leather that the description says "right chest wrinkle 1 cm image 9" I can not say if the discrepancy is the translation of the seller pushing off a slice in the leather. The photo of the slice looks like the jacket was folded to hide the full impact.

View attachment 302344
At this point, I do not know if I can return the jacket but I am not going to attempt to return it.
On the positive I can zip up the jacket, it is sung and the sleeves are an inch shorter than I would prefer but doable. I feel more comfortable in this original Trojan than the Lost Worlds size 44 I tried.

I have not decided if I will post a full review in a discarded thread or go to the vintage leather jacket tread I am leaning towards a dedicated thread.
Actually 裂 means crack or tear, so yes the translation is off. If you google translate しわ裂, you get wrinkle crack. Looking at the photos, I don't think it is simply hidden with a fold, it is possible that the long journey in an unsuitable packing has made it worse. May be the seller has glued it but it is now cracked wide open.
For those of you who is thinking of buying from Japan, please keep in mind that sellers on Yahoo Auction JP usually do not accept return not to mention the fact that your proxy service will not take responsibility unless it is them who damaged the item. It would be nearly impossible to return the item base on an error in the product description, not even when the seller listed the wrong size. So ask for actual measurements or have the seller take a photo of the size tag to make sure. When in doubt about the size and/or condition, don't buy. I know it is difficult to understand but that is the custom. No return should read buyers beware and absolutely no return.

jonbuilder

Actually 裂 means crack or tear, so yes the translation is off. If you google translate しわ裂, you get wrinkle crack. Looking at the photos, I don't think it is simply hidden with a fold, it is possible that the long journey in an unsuitable packing has made it worse. May be the seller has glued it but it is now cracked wide open.
For those of you who is thinking of buying from Japan, please keep in mind that sellers on Yahoo Auction JP usually do not accept return not to mention the fact that your proxy service will not take responsibility unless it is them who damaged the item. It would be nearly impossible to return the item base on an error in the product description, not even when the seller listed the wrong size. So ask for actual measurements or have the seller take a photo of the size tag to make sure. When in doubt about the size and/or condition, don't buy. I know it is difficult to understand but that is the custom. No return should read buyers beware and absolutely no return.
Good, advice I took a chance and rolled the dice. I am not in the market for Japanese-made jackets and for US-made jackets I plan to stick to US-based sites unless I stumble upon a rare jacket and become obsessed with I must have this jacket. I am not giving advise just saying what I plan to do. I realize orther members are more dedicated to the hobby in both time and resourses and more willing to take changes just for the experience.

jonbuilder

The plot thickens, another large tear at the right shoulder seam has become exposed. The bottom line is the seller misrepresented the jacket big time and it seems I am up a creek without a paddle. At this point, I have not decided what I will do with the Trojan. It is one size too small. I think I take it up to Johnson leather on Saturday when Alan is in the store and ask his opinion.

jonbuilder

Paypaal has sent tenso 株式会社 (tenso,inc.) notice the received merchandise that wasn't as described.
f the seller doesn’t respond to you, we'll automatically escalate the case to a claim for review on January 28, 2021. When a case is escalated to a claim, PayPal will review and decide the outcome, usually within 30 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana