Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson MA-1 William Gibson Edition

Seank

A-List Customer
Received this several weeks back and have been meaning to post up some pics.
Really like this jacket. When it gets to cold out for leather, this has been my go to. Although it’s not historically accurate being the black William Gibson Edition, I love the look of it. I purchased the 40r.
I usually go for jackets around sz 40 and this fits me pretty well I think. The sleeves are a little long and tunnel a bit but that is just something us shorter guys have to live with unfortunately, unless we go custom. If going off the rack I usually have to deal with this to find something that fits my shoulders, but in this case I think it’s livable and doesn’t bother me to much. Same as with a real McCoy jacket I own. These Japanese brands In my experience seem to follow that trend with relatively longer arm length to shoulder width ratios than western manufacturers.
The material used for this jacket feels amazing, very high quality feel to it. The Nylon feels thick and silky, and the inside fill is substantial and warm. All of the components look and feel high end as they should for the price...just wanted to make it a point that nothing about this jacket feels like a “cheap nylon bomber” it feels very nice and high quality. I was concerned about this because I have not owned a nylon bomber before, but this thing is legit.

51E2FC8A-572E-4FF1-81CB-182B9FDBBFB0.jpeg

Attachments

• 805F58DF-BFAD-4DD6-AF2A-538BB2788414.jpeg
    805F58DF-BFAD-4DD6-AF2A-538BB2788414.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,141
  • 3E1486BC-7B04-4AE0-9B28-BDDA608EE07E.jpeg
    3E1486BC-7B04-4AE0-9B28-BDDA608EE07E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,132
  • C65FC0C5-0F3A-4BE5-9BAA-1C0C615A73C0.jpeg
    C65FC0C5-0F3A-4BE5-9BAA-1C0C615A73C0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,092
  • A12A507D-817E-409E-ACEC-1899CA7771EB.jpeg
    A12A507D-817E-409E-ACEC-1899CA7771EB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,053

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It would be interesting to have one compared to an Alpha because if you have no experience of nylon jackets like this, even the Alpha feels like a masterpiece of construction and materials - at least mind did when I got it 20 years ago. The new Alpha I have seems pretty solid too.

Seank

A-List Customer
It would be interesting to have one compared to an Alpha because if you have no experience of nylon jackets like this, even the Alpha feels like a masterpiece of construction and materials - at least mind did when I got it 20 years ago. The new Alpha I have seems pretty solid too.
Ya, I agree. It’d be nice to compare the two side by side. I considered the Alpha before I purchased this one and all the reviews I could find were split...some loved the quality, especially of the older ones, while the new ones were mixed but I’ve never seen/held one.
I went with the Buzz because I really liked the Aesthetics of the William Gibson collection and I’m not disappointed ..but the Alpha probably offers more value, bang for the buck.

wanz

One of the Regulars
Looks great! I had my first chance to break mine out today. I've had mine for a few years now and I still am impressed when I grab the nylon. Wear it in good health!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ya, I agree. It’d be nice to compare the two side by side. I considered the Alpha before I purchased this one and all the reviews I could find were split...some loved the quality, especially of the older ones, while the new ones were mixed but I’ve never seen/held one.
I went with the Buzz because I really liked the Aesthetics of the William Gibson collection and I’m not disappointed ..but the Alpha probably offers more value, bang for the buck.

I think the Gibson looks better. I love these things but at six two,with a number 3 buzz cut and a somewhat stern face, I look like a thug or bouncer.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seb,
I own an American made Alpha MA-1 as well as a Buzz Rickson MA-1 (the 1963 D spec. model). The Buzz Rickson version is superior to the Alpha in almost every way. The nylon is thicker and with a nicer sheen to it if that makes any sense. The lining material is real heavy wool batting and it gives the jacket a much more substantial feel and better protection from the cold. It also makes the jacket much bulkier. For that reason I think that the Alpha may be a more flattering jacket when worn.
Please note that my Buzz Rickson is different then The William Gibson model which has been slimmed down and made a bit longer than the originals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda