Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe racer sleeve length

Ianrivaldosmith

New in Town
Hi all, I am looking for a very lightweight plain (fashion only, not riding) cafe racer leather jacket. I have narrowed it down to 1 possibly 2. The problem I have is that the sleeve length on my size (S) seems to be 34 inches. I would prefer 33 inches. Does anyone know how this can be rectified? Any other brands to try or? My chest size measured is around 36.8 relaxed.
I bought a cheap cafe racer leather from ASOS 5 years ago for £100 and its totally misshapen now, I loved the jacket at first as it fit perfectly! Perfect sleeve length. Now I need a good quality replacement!

Thanks!
Ian

PS the two I narrowed it down to so fare are:-
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/schott-retro-racer-jacket.htm?catID=125
and
https://www.allsaints.com/cora-leather-jacket/5057055336511.html

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all, I am looking for a very lightweight plain (fashion only, not riding) cafe racer leather jacket. I have narrowed it down to 1 possibly 2. The problem I have is that the sleeve length on my size (S) seems to be 34 inches. I would prefer 33 inches. Does anyone know how this can be rectified? Any other brands to try or? My chest size measured is around 36.8 relaxed.
I bought a cheap cafe racer leather from ASOS 5 years ago for £100 and its totally misshapen now, I loved the jacket at first as it fit perfectly! Perfect sleeve length. Now I need a good quality replacement!

Thanks!
Ian

and
Maybe another idea... send your old ASOS jacket to 5* and get the exact copy made from HH or goat.
Is probably the cheapest solution and you have afterwards exactly what you want.
If of course OTR also fits well, then it is not necessary.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

Thanks!
Ian

and
Schott offer sleeve shortening services. Be careful with your measurements though as most people measure the actual sleeve and I think you're referencing the length from the collar maybe?

I owned that All Saints or something very similar. Was actually a very cool jacket. The Schott will be whole other level, can't even compare. The AS is lambskin, very thin but soft. Really nice flattering cut. The Schott will last you a life time, obviously more expensive, but it's not even a fair comparison.

Ianrivaldosmith

New in Town
Schott offer sleeve shortening services. Be careful with your measurements though as most people measure the actual sleeve and I think you're referencing the length from the collar maybe?

I owned that All Saints or something very similar. Was actually a very cool jacket. The Schott will be whole other level, can't even compare. The AS is lambskin, very thin but soft. Really nice flattering cut. The Schott will last you a life time, obviously more expensive, but it's not even a fair comparison.
They spoke to me today and said they no longer offer that service (Schott that is) unfortunately.

I have now stumbled across Simmins Built, which is actually really close to where I live ( As is Aero leather, but I emailed them twice and had no response!).

Sleeve length I measured from middle of collar across shoulder. and then down the sleeve? I believe that is how Schott measured theirs too?

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
They spoke to me today and said they no longer offer that service (Schott that is) unfortunately.

I have now stumbled across Simmins Built, which is actually really close to where I live ( As is Aero leather, but I emailed them twice and had no response!).

Sleeve length I measured from middle of collar across shoulder. and then down the sleeve? I believe that is how Schott measured theirs too?
Apologies for lack of reply, we have had a couple of our team off recently so perhaps a little behind on mails, what mail did you use?
How close to Galashiels are you? If you can make it over then a visit to our factory is the best option. You can try various styles on, we have various options on cafe racers and loads of leathers (although non quite as thin as All Saints, although a hell of a lot better)
You can mail me directly denny@aeroleatherclothing.com

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Sleeve length can be a strange thing. The fit changes from style to style. For example, I have a very nice Korean made Harley Davidson. Its sleeves are 25 inches long. It fits perfect on my body. I have a similar style jacket with same sleeve length but fits about 1.5 inches too long. Have you tried fivestar leather? For the price, they offer great products, and the rep will work with you. https://www.fivestarleather.us/collections/civilian-jackets
Many in this forum have order them with happy results. Personally, I like their heavy goat.

Ianrivaldosmith

New in Town
Apologies for lack of reply, we have had a couple of our team off recently so perhaps a little behind on mails, what mail did you use?
How close to Galashiels are you? If you can make it over then a visit to our factory is the best option. You can try various styles on, we have various options on cafe racers and loads of leathers (although non quite as thin as All Saints, although a hell of a lot better)
You can mail me directly denny@aeroleatherclothing.com
I am just down in Northumberland... I could pop up sometime next week or the week after, I will email you:)

AerGuitar

A-List Customer

I was thrifting one day and picked up two All Saints jackets for next to nothing. One was a Kody and the other an Akita(I think). I don’t remember which, but the hide on one was very thin and soft as you describe, but the other was a tank! It was much heavier than my Lewis sheepskin. I was surprised and impressed with that jacket. Both were very Lewis-like cross zips.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I am just down in Northumberland... I could pop up sometime next week or the week after, I will email you:)
Northumberland........you are literally just down the road!
We would love to welcome you to the factory and show you what we do. We are taking visitors by appointment so drop me a mail and we can get you booked in.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I was thrifting one day and picked up two All Saints jackets for next to nothing. One was a Kody and the other an Akita(I think). I don’t remember which, but the hide on one was very thin and soft as you describe, but the other was a tank! It was much heavier than my Lewis sheepskin. I was surprised and impressed with that jacket. Both were very Lewis-like cross zips.
If I would have never found these boards, I would have been totally happy with my All Saints LOL. The blessing and curse : )

All Saints was big upgrade over my Andrew Marcs. They're usually on sale 40%+ off. I'd never pay full price, but at $100-150 on Ebay especially, it's a hell of an option for someone looking for a fashion jacket and has low budget. Really nice patterns if you're tall and lankier.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
If you actual ride, you want sleeve length to be long. I know you said you don't, but there are worse things than wearing a motorcycle jacket that looks like it could be worn on a motorcycle. An inch too long for a fashion jacket looks fine. An inch too short for a fashion jacket looks ridiculous. Tolerance is a usually 1/2 inch anyway.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I wouldn’t be fussed about sleeve length being too long, just have them shortened. I’d focus on getting the rest of the fit the way you want it.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
It's tricky ordering a made to order jacket and specifying a sleeve length because there are different ways to measure sleeves, and their way may be different than your way, and you could end up with them being off from what you were expecting. Personally I'd only do this with a maker that will let you send in a fit jacket to base the measurement on

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's tricky ordering a made to order jacket and specifying a sleeve length because there are different ways to measure sleeves, and their way may be different than your way, and you could end up with them being off from what you were expecting. Personally I'd only do this with a maker that will let you send in a fit jacket to base the measurement on
Simple solution: photo of a well-fitting jacket with tape measure on the sleeve, so that the manufacturer can see how it was measured. Then this can implement this to his way of measuring.
I have never had a fit jacket/mock-up and no problems with the sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner