Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caftans?

BoPeep

Practically Family
Muu muus - that's the term I'm familiar with. Very tempting after being girdled and cinched all day but don't leave the house in them. Unless you're headed to the beach.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
à la Auntie Mame with some Shantung cigarette or pajamas pants, perhaps?

mame_1w.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...l%3FN%3D0%26Ntt%3Dcaftan%26_requestid%3D13645

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...l%3FN%3D0%26Ntt%3Dcaftan%26_requestid%3D13645

They have quite a few actually. Why I am asking. I keep seeing them.
as it is 90 degrees where I live I am wanting Fall. lol
Both of those came up with recommendations for other items that are nightwear. It makes me think that these are, too. The leopard print one definitely looks like a nightgown to me.

Foofoogal

Banned
Yes, they would be under nightgowns I believe. Caftans are loungewear. I guess one could wear outside and some did depending on the material but mainly serves the same purpose as a vintage house dress.

It is just a comfy world in them.

---------------
Pina, that is devine. Shantung and Seersucker have to be most most fav materials. Velvet also.

TexasTawny001

New in Town
I adore a good muumuu! I live in muumuus & day dresses! I'd think I'd like to find a good patio dress too!

This is my favorite muumuu! I like to cinch a wide white belt around the waist & wear it with a nice classic wedge to dress it up a bit!

(Photo courtesy of SailorPinkVintage)
159f9b14.jpg

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I believe muumuus and caftans are two totally different items of clothing. Muumuus are Hawai'ian in origin, caftans Arabic.

There's a beautiful caftan in my mother's kimono closet, never worn, black with gold embroidery, that was a gift to my father from an Arab oil prince, when he often went to the Middle East on business mid '70s-'80s. Nobody's claimed it yet, so maybe I should claim it and take a pic. I think there also was a maroon one given Dad on a different occasion, but I didn't see that the last time I went through the kimono closet, so I need to do a more throrough search. Yes, I have free access to Mom's kimono closet, with her permission, of course :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran