Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal-Leather

Leigh H

Practically Family
Red label 50/60s Cal in the mail on its way! Fingers crossed it’s a good fit.
You never know with these custom cals.

bdVDOBi.jpg

zUXJb3B.jpg

OZ5kt8f.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Too bad we're pretty much the same size or I'd hit you up for it in case it didn't fit...:). You're S/M, right?

Leigh H

Practically Family
^^
Too bad we're pretty much the same size or I'd hit you up for it in case it didn't fit...:). You're S/M, right?
I’m more medium / large

I’m mainly 42 but I can float between either side. 40 / 42 / 44

If it’s on the small side it might be good for you.

Mister Rivets

One of the Regulars
Has anyone who says they have not received a response put a jacket in the cart on there site?? I am going to order the LAPD jacket then I'm done.

I called this morning and spoke with the owner and made an appointment to go up and have measurements taken.

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Comparison of two Cal Leather CRs of similar cut and size.
The one with the standard racer collar I purchased from Monitor who got it from Ton.. It is unlabeled. Monitor
mentioned he sent pictures to the current Cal Leather and the jacket was confirmed to be a Cal.
The 2nd jacket is also unlabeled a commend occurrence with Cals.
steer hide jacket I have owned.
I believe that Cal made jackets to order a lot along the lines of Aero and as long as buyers stayed within Cal's guidelines customization happened. Jacker no 2 gets a dress collar and is the rim shortcut of my 60s Cal racer with the 6 panel back seen of early heaver hide the longer version of the Cafe Racer

I am having trouble inserting text under the pictures but generally jacket 1 is the jacket with the most sean leather

I am returning jacket 2 because the sleeves are too short no fit pictures

7C444BC2-E1A3-44F1-8840-1D8EE94255DB.jpeg
581337BE-8C06-4A41-9439-5DE4A24ADEAA.jpeg
F3074135-E093-4978-AEA2-A7BEB891FC4B.jpeg
CBEBC0B5-86EA-4881-9D6D-F484AB8EB064.jpeg
BAC36625-403B-4DD9-A180-F62BE1B7E6A7.jpeg
A5B990EB-4BB0-4789-A867-0A7C3757E5B1.jpeg
59E4E5A6-5FFD-4DC6-AFC2-20E7C9FF4852.jpeg
396F51CB-D51B-4E74-B599-413A8E78EFCB.jpeg
D9B906B6-2070-450F-B405-D6C8240C4EAE.jpeg
I believe both jackets to be of similar vintage 60s. Jacket no 1 with the standard collar is made with a heaver smoother hide, the more desirable hide IMO, and reminds me of horsehide. Jacker no 2 the hide more resembles hides on

Attachments

• 5FEC1C92-884B-4211-8144-6AA186299FD9.jpeg
    5FEC1C92-884B-4211-8144-6AA186299FD9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Comparison of two Cal Leather CRs of similar cut and size.
The one with the standard racer collar I purchased from Monitor who got it from Ton.. It is unlabeled. Monitor
mentioned he sent pictures to the current Cal Leather and the jacket was confirmed to be a Cal.
The 2nd jacket is also unlabeled a commend occurrence with Cals.
steer hide jacket I have owned.
I believe that Cal made jackets to order a lot along the lines of Aero and as long as buyers stayed within Cal's guidelines customization happened. Jacker no 2 gets a dress collar and is the rim shortcut of my 60s Cal racer with the 6 panel back seen of early heaver hide the longer version of the Cafe Racer

I am having trouble inserting text under the pictures but generally jacket 1 is the jacket with the most sean leather

I am returning jacket 2 because the sleeves are too short no fit pictures

View attachment 445782 View attachment 445783 View attachment 445784 View attachment 445785 View attachment 445786 View attachment 445787 View attachment 445788 View attachment 445779 View attachment 445780 I believe both jackets to be of similar vintage 60s. Jacket no 1 with the standard collar is made with a heaver smoother hide, the more desirable hide IMO, and reminds me of horsehide. Jacker no 2 the hide more resembles hides on
Any pics of the front?

Leigh H

Practically Family
I've recently bought this jacket, it's currently in transit.

but i have a feeling its been made by Cal from the signature horizontal stitching at the zip pockets, and i've seen a star glove with similar neck corduroy lining on the collar. It's an unusual one.

Thoughts? Cal?

cThEi4r.png

lv7lBZF.png

3LxEawu.png

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

but i have a feeling its been made by Cal from the signature horizontal stitching at the zip pockets, and i've seen a star glove with similar neck corduroy lining on the collar. It's an unusual one.

Thoughts? Cal?

cThEi4r.png

lv7lBZF.png

3LxEawu.png
It has some characteristics that make me think Cal. The pockets, the collar. But it's unlike any verified Cal I've ever seen. Could it have been repaired/modified? I think the corduroy on the collar could be a patch covering a cracked/worn through original leather collar. And the bottom of the jacket looks like it could have been modified to extend the length. Early Cal jackets were often quite short, intending to work with high-rise pants and end above the belt line in order to accomodate a policeman's duty belt worn on the pants. So maybe it was retired from active duty wear and repurposed for a civilian who needed a longer jacket and had it modified/repaired for their purpose?

Leigh H

Practically Family
It has some characteristics that make me think Cal. The pockets, the collar. But it's unlike any verified Cal I've ever seen. Could it have been repaired/modified? I think the corduroy on the collar could be a patch covering a cracked/worn through original leather collar. And the bottom of the jacket looks like it could have been modified to extend the length. Early Cal jackets were often quite short, intending to work with high-rise pants and end above the belt line in order to accomodate a policeman's duty belt worn on the pants. So maybe it was retired from active duty wear and repurposed for a civilian who needed a longer jacket and had it modified/repaired for their purpose?
It could quite possibly have been extended, hadn’t really thought of that!

Could have a cal frankenstein on my hands.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone here ended up getting a modern Cal?

I’d love to show them support. We all drool over their vintage, but unlike some of the other vintage makes we like, they still exist! I’d love for that to keep being so.

Thoughts? Cal?

cThEi4r.png

lv7lBZF.png

3LxEawu.png

Sweet. Based on the bottom hem stitching, the different color hide on the interior of the bottom hem, shape and config of belt loops, config of underarm footballs, lapel shape, corduroy on collar I say it’s an All Weather. Perhaps another N Cali/NW maker but I’m going with “Is it an All Weather for $1,000 Alex”.

You will be most happy with this jacket. Very happy.

Wildhorses

Practically Family

Thoughts? Cal?

cThEi4r.png

lv7lBZF.png

3LxEawu.png
I had posted this one a few weeks ago in the Finds and deals. The grain is nice, and it could be an All weather, like JMax said. I think it had an added panel at bottom, because the original shape was short. I took contact with the seller, with added pics, and I did not buy because it was too short in the sleeves : 23. Very nice anyway.

I still think All Weather but I found a picture of a Californian with a really tall kidney /reinforced bottom hem. Not quite this tall but taller than everything else I have seen. This is Yao Ming tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB