Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caledonia, Caledonia, What Makes Your Big Head so HARD - The Swingingest!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Holy Cats.

I'm OFF to find THAT one Baby. :)

(Also grabbing a bunch of Red Nichols off iTunes - he recorded over 4,000 pieces in the 1920's. Did Ken Burns mention him??)

Paul Whiteman needs to be in this list.

And Fats Waller.

Edit: Is there a digital version, Fletch?

Waller's Victor waxing of "Viper's Drag" is one of my favorites.

As far as Whiteman is concerned, whilst there are a great many fine soli on his discs, the organisation was a bit too large to really swing, save perhaps for his 1928 issue of "San"..

One of my favorite heavy swinging small band recorings is the test of the "Teschenmacher's Chicagoans" 1928 recording of "Jazz Me Blues", which I ahve in its initial release, on UHCA 61. it was subsequently issued on Decca, and has had many, many reissuses over the years. The Chicago Rhythm Kings recording of "I've Found a New Baby" is another hard-swinging gem.

The Victor "All-Star Orchestra" recorded a couple of fine sides in '29-31. my favorite of these is "Oh, Baby!", featuring the Dorsey's and Glen Miller.

Ben Pollack's 1928 sides, which star a young Benny Goodman are also great. Probably the best of these would be "He's The Last Word", "Bye, Bye for Baby", and "Singapore Sorrows".

The many reissues of the "Stomp Six" group's rare Autograph recording of "Everybody loves My Baby" have firmly affixed it in the firmament of swing classics.

For those who prefer the "sepia" side of music, the "Bubber Miley and his Mileage Makers" 1930 recording of "I Lost My Gal From Memphis" is a must-have, as is "The Washingtonians" (Duke Ellington) Wall Street Wail. "Erskine Tate and his Vendome Orchestra" recorded some wondwerfully hot titles, driven by the aggressive trumpet of a young Louis Armstrong. Most easily available of these would be "Stomp off, Let's Go!" and "Static Strut", both of which sold fairly well on Vocalion in 1926, and sold in immense quantites when reissued on the Brunswick label in the 1940's.

The1925 Fletcher Henderson recordings of "Sugar Foot Stomp" ("Dippermouth Blues"), "Prince of Wails", and "Money Blues", all of which feature Armstrong are must-haves, as are the hard swinging 1931 recordings of new arrangements of "Sugar foot Stomp" and "Hot and Anxious", a swinging large group arrangement of Wingy Manone's "Tar Paper Stomp", which he recorded in 1930 under he moniker "Barbecue Joe and his Hot Dogs" (when recorded by white orchestras, "hot and anxious" was translated in to the more polite "In The Mood")

Then there is the stellar recording of "St Louis Blues" by Bing Crosby accompanied by the Duke Ellington organsiation. Crosby was actually a fine jazz singer.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flat-top said:

That was great. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap However there was a little problem:

Frank 'Sugar Chile' Robinson-A small, youthful-looking boy, he was touted as a seven-year-old "child prodigy", until one night in 1957 at Harlem's Apollo Theater, a fan sneaked into his room after the show to try to meet him and saw him smoking a cigar. It turned out that he wasn't seven years old but 17 years old. The incident ended his career.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

scotrace said:
When i hear Woody Herman and The Thundering Herd doing Caldeonia, I can't sit still - a great source of entertainment at traffic lights, am I.

What's the jumpin-est, swingin-est foot tappiest, gotta danciest tune you love?

You know, I hadn't heard of this song until just recently. Someone made reference of it to me, because I live in the Caledonia township. Definatly a toe-tapper at the least!

donCarlos

Practically Family
Swingiest, that must be the Little John Special by Lucky Millinder. Unfortunately no youtube video, but you surely know what I´m talking about.

Second place is definitely Traffic Jam by Artie Shaw.

Third place would be probably shared between Carioca, Special Delivery, both by Artie Shaw.

(I guess it´s clear who my favourite bandleader is...)

Woland

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
But I've always had a soft spot for Jimmie Lunceford. If he hadn't dropped dead in 1947 he'd be a lot better known today. Glenn Miller said Lunceford was the greatest of all bands, and patterned his own band after Jimmie's to a large degree. My favorite Lunceford tune is "For Dancers Only". It has a slightly slower tempo than some great swing songs, but it really gets hold of you. Lunceford's peak was about 1936. By 1942 some of his best people, such as arranger Sy Oliver, had gone on to greener pastures, so he was not so much in the forefront by the 40's. But he was one of the very greatest.

Indeed!
Luncefords Sleepy Time Gal might be my all time favourite.
The deegree of wildness, combined with utter control is amazing.

I might be going to to Memphis at some point in my life, in order to visit Mr. Luncefords resting place.
True genius he was!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran