Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

calling all Aero owners . . .

felix03

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I'm very close to purchasing the Aero Cafe Racer, but I wanted to get your opinion on sizing. Have you purchased your Aero jacket(s) in the same size as your suit/sportcoat size? Thanks for your help:)

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Both My Aeros are in my sportcoat size. My Barnstormer is loose enough to layer under without being baggy, and my A2 is almost form fitting. Mark will help you determine the best size.

felix03

One of the Regulars
1911 Man,

Thanks for your quick response. Amanda from Aero and I have exchanged numerous emails back and forth. The thing is, I'm right on the cusp between a 38 and a 40. My suit size is 38S, but she's recommending a 40. She was also nice enough to send me detailed measurements of their 38 and 40 (chest, shoulder to shoulder, sweep, back length, sleeve length). Aero's 38 more closely matches up with the dimensions of a jacket I have that fits really well.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
aEro-siZed

hi...went through the same thing with mark noyes (sp?), american aEro rep...

i drove him crazy going back and forth with my sizes, like you, i wear a size 44 suit for shoulders (stomach requires a 42)...however in soooooo many leather jackets, i end up needing a 46...

the answer my friend, was not bLowing in the wind (like my verbosity often)...however, it was blowing under the armpits...what decided the sizing question for me was knowing that i needed at least 25" in the armpit to armpit measurement...whatever aEro's sizing was, if whatever size they gave me met that, it would be right, correct, verisimilitudinous

though i was sure i'd need a 46 in the aEro highwayman, the 44 would give me a 25" armpit to armpit...secondary measurements that needed to be correct, were, such as at least 19.5" in the shoulders

i'm guessing that your chest fit is the most important, and it sounds like you got...for want of a better word, sound advice from aero...suit jacket size equaling aEro jacket size...though probably some models fit a bit differently than others...

you sound like you got it right

Edward

Bartender
I would trust to Aero's judgement on this - whichever size will depend as much on the jacket design and cut as anything. My Aero AN6552 is a 32R, my suit size, but I need a 44 in most Brando-style jackets as they're cut that much neater. If you have your actual measurements, Aero will be able to tell you which would fit you better. In any case, I should have thought that if you're not the size they recommend, they'd be perfectly amenable to changing the jacket for noe in the smaller size.

Goodguy

New in Town
felix03 said:
1911 Man,

Thanks for your quick response. Amanda from Aero and I have exchanged numerous emails back and forth. The thing is, I'm right on the cusp between a 38 and a 40. My suit size is 38S, but she's recommending a 40. She was also nice enough to send me detailed measurements of their 38 and 40 (chest, shoulder to shoulder, sweep, back length, sleeve length). Aero's 38 more closely matches up with the dimensions of a jacket I have that fits really well.

Amanda is ok, but you really should be speaking with the gentleman who is in the workroom. I forget his name, but he has more hands-on experience and worked with me on sizing, and the results are great.

Goodguy said:
Amanda is ok, but you really should be speaking with the gentleman who is in the workroom. I forget his name, but he has more hands-on experience and worked with me on sizing, and the results are great.

You are talking about Will. I would defimately give them my exact measurements...then go with 'their' advice on fit. They do have alot of experience with fit.....
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
You are talking about Will. I would defimately give them my exact measurements...then go with 'their' advice on fit. They do have alot of experience with fit.....
HD

Will might also spend time in the cutting room, but if you mean Will Lauder, he is the owner and "main man." He is the Roy Hobbs of leather jackets, IMHO.

icecold

One of the Regulars
I recently exchanged an email with amanda regarding A-2 "real deal".

I'm a suit size 38 (and actual chest measurement 38") and she says that 38 will fit me, but it fill be a "neat fit". My question to the veterans here is: what exactly does this mean?? And particularly, what difference in fit should I expect moving from 38 to 40?

I'm pretty proportioned/fit (i.e. no belly), so generally I'm inclined with going with A-2 in 38, since I like the close fit. But just how close will it be??? Amanda says that all I'd be able to layer under it is a thin sweatshirt, which I'm fine with, i just don't want to look like i'm tightly wrapped...

icecold

One of the Regulars
1911 Man said:
Both My Aeros are in my sportcoat size. My Barnstormer is loose enough to layer under without being baggy, and my A2 is almost form fitting. Mark will help you determine the best size.

is your sportcoat size equal to your actual chest measurement? I ask because as a rule, incompetent salesmen always suggest sportcoat one size too big. I would assume that the crowd here at the fedora lounge knows better, of course! But, since an A-2 is a substantial investment, better to make sure for just in case, and I mean no offense!!...

Also, can you perhaps post a picture wearing your A-2?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I am a suit size 40, with a chest measurement of 38 exhaled and 40 inhaled. My Aero is a 1940 contract A2, and I understand they might fit slightly different than the 1938 contract. I went with the size 40, and I can wear a dress shirt or a tight weave close fitting sweater type shirt under the jacket no problem. However, I also keep in pretty decent shape, which means my shoulders are slightly fuller, so the jacket fits snug there, but not too tight.

On a funny note, most here on the lounge talk about high cut armholes being proper and better fitting. Which is true, unless you're athletic and have thicker arms and fuller shoulders, which I guess I do. This tends to make the high cut armholes ride up into your armpits when you're sitting down, which can be slightly uncomfortable.

I should also point out that I have only had the jacket less than a year, and last winter I babied it, so it hasn't broken in properly. The last few weeks I've been reading advice here about breaking an Aero jacket in, and have experimented a little with breaking it in, which is really helping the fit. I plan to take the jacket on a hunting trip this week, which involves riding an open ATV in the mountains. A similar trip really helped break in my Wested Horsehide last year, so I will update next week if it helps my Aero too.

icecold

One of the Regulars
1911 Man said:
I am a suit size 40, with a chest measurement of 38 exhaled and 40 inhaled. My Aero is a 1940 contract A2, and I understand they might fit slightly different than the 1938 contract. I went with the size 40, and I can wear a dress shirt or a tight weave close fitting sweater type shirt under the jacket no problem. However, I also keep in pretty decent shape, which means my shoulders are slightly fuller, so the jacket fits snug there, but not too tight.

On a funny note, most here on the lounge talk about high cut armholes being proper and better fitting. Which is true, unless you're athletic and have thicker arms and fuller shoulders, which I guess I do. This tends to make the high cut armholes ride up into your armpits when you're sitting down, which can be slightly uncomfortable.

I should also point out that I have only had the jacket less than a year, and last winter I babied it, so it hasn't broken in properly. The last few weeks I've been reading advice here about breaking an Aero jacket in, and have experimented a little with breaking it in, which is really helping the fit. I plan to take the jacket on a hunting trip this week, which involves riding an open ATV in the mountains. A similar trip really helped break in my Wested Horsehide last year, so I will update next week if it helps my Aero too.

Thanks a lot man, this prevented me from ordering the wrong size! Have fun showing that jacket who's da boss!

felix03

One of the Regulars
Senicko_Spain said:
That's what makes this forum great, members helping other members. ;)

Gotta love it!:eusa_clap

Indeed!

Just placed my order for the Cafe Racer in FQHH:

• Brown
  • size 38
  • 25.0" sleeves
  • 25.0" back length
  • 4 pockets
  • silver zippers
  • brown cotton drill lining

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

I'll post pics when it comes in.