Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling All Nylon Junkies New Alpha L2B Sizing

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have sold lots of my nylon (MA1s etc) on the Bay recently. The nylon craving has come upon me again & 2 weeks ago I found myself hitting the 'buy it now' button on a new Navy Blue Alpha L2B (made in China). The weather here in the UK has perked up after an unusually cold spring, thus the need or excuse for a light weight nylon purchase.

Prior to hitting the button I'd done a bit of research into sizing & hit a wall. Should I buy XL or XXL? No one including Alpha customer services could give me any dimensions.
Based on chest size, weight & height I was pointed in the direction of a 2XL. I was advised that these jackets run small and to order a size larger than my normal fit. At 5.10 & a 46 inch chest I consider myself XL so ordered the 2XL.

I recently purchased a NOS (1990s) Alpha USA made L2B in XL and that came up very small (soon moved it on).

Jacket arrived yesterday & amid the excitement of new jacket frenzy I crossed my fingers & opened the box. Boy, the 2XL is huge & looked like a rent-a-tent on. Pit to pit was somewhere in the 30" region, shoulders were huge. cuffs covered my hands & excess nylon gaped everywhere.
The quality seems reasonable, the zip was a bit sticky but nothing I couldn't live with. The fit however just wasn't flattering on me in 2XL.

The colour wasn't anywhere close to my idea of Navy (a lot of green in with the blue) & there's a possibility I've been sent the Replica Blue in error (trying to establish this with the seller). This jacket will be returned or sold on.

To move the situation on I've been in dialogue with the seller & have ordered an XL in what I hope will be closer to a Navy Blue. Based on the 2XL experience I'm hoping the XL will be a good fit & not too tight. Fingers crossed! :eeek:

bn1966

Turns out Navy is a blue green & Replica is a Navy Blue, seller now sending me an XL Replica Blue. I now have a blue green 2XL (Navy) for sale. Getting very confused with Alpha colours.

Edward

Bartender
I *think* the Replica blue is a term carried over from the Replica Series of the 90s. I have a Replica B15C from that line (wish they would bring it back). Not quite as good as a Buzz (comparing to my B 15c BR), but much closer than the price gap suggests... I will be interested to see your new jacket. I would love one of the Buzz Rickson L2As, but I could never bring myself to spend four hundred pounds on a nylon windbreaker, however nice.

bn1966

Hi Edward,

Picked up a great B15-D vintage series Alpha today in the blue. I did purchase a Buzz L2A a while back, but even in a 46 it was too tight across the shoulders & had to be moved on.

Should have the XL L2B from Alpha within a few days. Will post pics and measurements when it arrives (fingers crossed for a fitter).:cool:

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward,

Picked up a great B15-D vintage series Alpha today in the blue. I did purchase a Buzz L2A a while back, but even in a 46 it was too tight across the shoulders & had to be moved on.

Should have the XL L2B from Alpha within a few days. Will post pics and measurements when it arrives (fingers crossed for a fitter).:cool:

Be interested to hear about that, yes... The vintage Series jackets aren't bad... I think the blue is more noticeably 'off' the as-issued colour, though I have a notion they were meant to ape the colour of a jacket that had seen a fair bit of wear (and I have seen one or two originals on sale which actually were much lighter than the navy colour.... sun bleaching maybe?). The green, D suffix jacket is less different, I think from memory. I suppose they don't see there being a big market for these, but I wish Alpha would bring back the Replica Series. They're bound to be able to do them for under half what Buzz do, and they're close-enough for my tastes....

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward,

Be interested to hear about that, yes... The vintage Series jackets aren't bad... I think the blue is more noticeably 'off' the as-issued colour, though I have a notion they were meant to ape the colour of a jacket that had seen a fair bit of wear (and I have seen one or two originals on sale which actually were much lighter than the navy colour.... sun bleaching maybe?). The green, D suffix jacket is less different, I think from memory. I suppose they don't see there being a big market for these, but I wish Alpha would bring back the Replica Series. They're bound to be able to do them for under half what Buzz do, and they're close-enough for my tastes....

bn1966

Alpha L2B Flight Jacket in XL (Chinese made) arrived today in the Replica (Dark Blue) & I was very pleasantly surprised.

Colour is great & very similar to the Buzz L2A I had (that was slightly too small & ended up being moved on).

Chinese L2 quality surpassed the NOS (USA Made) XL Civvy Alpha L2B from the 90s that I recently acquired & rapidly moved on (cut very small...sticky zip etc etc)

Measurements on the Replica Blue were good for an XL: 29"on the pits, shoulders approx 22" & I would guestimate (didn't measure) around 26" in length. Fitted me well at 46" chest & 5.10 in height.

Alpha are advising to size up on the L2Bs: 'tight fit'...not IMHO. An XL fits an XL and a 2XL is a very large jacket to fit an XXL.

Will take some pictures & post very soon Edward.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Alpha L2B Flight Jacket in XL (Chinese made) arrived today in the Replica (Dark Blue) & I was very pleasantly surprised.

Colour is great & very similar to the Buzz L2A I had (that was slightly too small & ended up being moved on).

Chinese L2 quality surpassed the NOS (USA Made) XL Civvy Alpha L2B from the 90s that I recently acquired & rapidly moved on (cut very small...sticky zip etc etc)

Measurements on the Replica Blue were good for an XL: 29"on the pits, shoulders approx 22" & I would guestimate (didn't measure) around 26" in length. Fitted me well at 46" chest & 5.10 in height.

Alpha are advising to size up on the L2Bs: 'tight fit'...not IMHO. An XL fits an XL and a 2XL is a very large jacket to fit an XXL.

It sounds like a fairly nice jacket for the price. But I'm afraid "Replica Blue" might be a bit of a misnomer for an L-2b. The only original blue L-jacket was the L-2A.

AF

bn1966

I agree, on a Japanese site I saw, they were referring to the Chinese Alpha 'Dark Blue' as an L2A. And as you say..."a fairly nice jacket for the money" (which wasn't a lot).

bn1966

Not the most historically accurate I'm sure (that accolade goes to my Buzz...I think) but a nice bit of kit for $98.00 or £62.37. :)

Edward

Bartender

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'd say the sizing is definitely more generous than it used to be. I have a Vintage Series L2A in the lighter "vintage blue" colour, and while labelled XL I'd say it's definitely a trim 44R, or maybe (in modern sizing) a 42R. The actual chest measurement of the jacket itself is 47-48". If yours is an XL, I would be a Large, or possibly even a medium.

It sounds like a fairly nice jacket for the price. But I'm afraid "Replica Blue" might be a bit of a misnomer for an L-2b. The only original blue L-jacket was the L-2A.

AF

Quite! I suspect Alpha have indulged in a little historical simplification.... As I recollect, the Vintage Series jackets, and I think also the Replica Series, were tagged "L2A/B", as the B15 equivalents were "B15C/D", the colour (and interior labeling with respect to the Replica Series models) being the only significant difference between the models. Probably a similar approach here..... I've also known Alpha to do a blue "MA1", closer a B15C Mod in reality, but probably the former appellation has more brand awareness in their target market. I really wish Alpha would bring back the early 90s Replica Series, but I imagine it's simply too much of a niche market for what they are after these days.

bn1966

The Buzz as I recollect Seb was thicker & stiffer. It was the nicest nylon I've ever owned, shame they don't make them any bigger...it was labelled as a 46 but IMHO was more like a 44.

bn1966

A few pictures to wet one's appetite (or not as the case may be) my Chinese Alpha L2B :cool:

IMG_0236.jpg IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0238.jpg IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0241.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Ah! I see more why the L"B appellation now.... The L2A, of course, never had an orange liner - that came in with later L2B models. This is obviously a civilian version of the L2B, in an alternative colour. Though as said previously they were all essentially the same jacket, save for the colour, anyhow. This looks like quite a nice take on the pattern.

bn1966

Pictures above of Replica Blue L2B in XL (great fit). These photos 'Navy Blue' Chinese Alpha L2B in 2XL that was too big for me (teal in shade):

IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0212.jpg IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0217.jpg

One thing I like about these jackets is the slightly longer body length than earlier Alpha Civvy L2Bs. Works well with pants / trousers.

Last edited:

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Methinks I scored this one off eebers ;) Usually my experience with Alphas has been I need to find a 4xl and then the chest is puffed up and I need to wear dungarees as the back is too short... They made a "replica" series of the MA-1 a few years back with the DuPont and wool lining, would want to get one of those... if they made it in GomerPyle sizes...

bn1966

Indeed you have scored it off eebers sir. Congratulations, its very nice & very big & I am very happy to have you take it off my hands:). I will use my new found riches to fund the shortening of another nylon recently procured from Gibson & Barnes. I would further like to thank you for prompt payment for said "tent" & I will get it out to you ASAP. I hope the two of you will be a good match:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24