Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling All Nylon Junkies New Alpha L2B Sizing

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Gibson & Barnes Nylon MA1 (lightweight) in Navy (Teal shade) is an L2A /B styled jacket (lining is the same colour as outer). Great body fit (upper) but a bit too long on the back (same length all the way around). A local leather seamstress is shortening the back to give it a more military style fit (dimensions modeled straight from an L2). I may consider adding a decal on it's return. I would love an original USA L2 but know I won't find one big enough.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
for said "tent"

tent arrived stop camper happy stop
perfect fit for me - and fits a submarine jumper under for the inclement weather, but for now its off to Glastonbury... though the Baracuta G9 I scored might be more appropriate :cool:

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I am thinking of trying the iron decals found on the bay. I have been told they are easy enough to apply and....hold up nicely..Would look good on that blue L2B bn1966....

I'd just be a tad careful applying those heat transfer decals to nylon as the iron if set too high or applied just a fraction too long could melt the nylon.

Mash-japan have detailed instructions for doing this. You'll have to use some sort of folded cloth pad to "ease" the heat exposure of the nylon.

Cocker

Practically Family
Received my Alpha L2B a week ago, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Sure, it's not a Buzz Rickson, but for the price, it'll be a perfect beater. I'm 6'4" and 195lbs, and the XL fits me perfectly. It's a tad roomy in the body, but nothing shocking, and at least the sleeves are a perfect length! I have a nice retro 334th FIS patch I'm planning to sew on it, an oxygen mask tab from MASH, and USAF iron-on decals from US Country Store.

@Phantomfixer: If you've put the iron-on decal on yours, any advise you would mind to share?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ I just bought one of the current Alpha L2B jackets, made in china. I was expecting nothing special but in fact I like it and I can see how this could be more useful to me than my poly MA-1 jackets. Construction quality is excellent, by the way. The liner is synthetic, but it's heavier than in the MA-1 jackets and has that vintage sheen. Unfortunately the zipper on mine gets stuck easily, but that's not a deal killer. The question is, will I keep it? This was one of those late night drunk purchases (not literally, but you know what I mean). I've got four 36/P jackets which are better in most respects and look better on me. So I don't know. Good jacket, good bang for the buck, but I don't "need" it in my lineup.

Last edited:

bn1966

Congratulations Doc,

The sticky zipper is a feature of them all. I've had 3 & they were all the same. First one was a 'TENT' in 2XL (thanks for that piece of advice Alpha!) had to move it. Second one XL in the dark blue is OK as a work 'beater' and sees lots of use; however I don't consider it as a part of my 'line-up'. I stupidly purchased one in the sage when '3 sheets to the wind' & then sold it on without wearing it as it didn't compare with my originals & wasn't appropriate for work in that color.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just took ownership of a sage 90s vintage L2B today. Great fit, slim fitting and in perfect condition - will get loads of wear out of this - and bought for a song, £29, on t'Bay. Shall post pics soon. Zipper is in good working order too.

bn1966

Good score Sloan, took me ages (3 years) to find one in XL. Great jackets.....somewhat cheaper than a Buzz and good quality. No sticky zips with the Alpha 'Vintage' series, wish I could say the same of the Chinese made L2Bs! Mine is now earning it's keep as a work 'Beater' but there is a certain technique to operating that zip...3 have passed through my hands and all had the same zipper issue.

Edward

Bartender
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but Silvermans in London have a jacket on display in their showroom, labelled as a "lightweight MA1". It's very much an L2B to my eye, the spec with the epaulettes and pocket flaps. It has the L2 type stud flap at the bottom of the zip. Unlike my Vintage Series Alpha, though, it has a bit of poly batting between lining and shell. Not much, so I doubt it'd be anything like as warm as an MA1, but just a little bit in there. Made me wodner whether it just is a lighter version of the MA1, civilianised, that has L2B details, or whether some of the L2 types did have a little bit more under the liner? Liner is orange in the traditional L2B colour, good, heavy outer (available in black or green; the one on dispaly is green. Looks a bit darker than the norm, though that is under artificial light. Can't find it in their catalogue, though. It's not on their website at all, so who knows whether it's a current model or not.... Labelled GBP50.00

They've also got some really nice jackets, though alas only in L and M now that are old US made Alphas with cotton/wool batting. Look to me like B15C Mods, in the right blue with decal, blue liner, but labelled MA1s. Didn't think that was right? Still, label aside, really nice.... Like the Alpha Replica series (they might well be from this one). GBP150.00

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
...Silvermans in London...

They've also got some really nice jackets, though alas only in L and M now that are old US made Alphas with cotton/wool batting. Look to me like B15C Mods, in the right blue with decal, blue liner, but labelled MA1s. Didn't think that was right? Still, label aside, really nice.... Like the Alpha Replica series (they might well be from this one). GBP150.00
Those definitely sound like the Replica series, link here: https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...A1+JACKET/0/SKU/4-175-12358-1600/Default.aspx. Gosh, I'd love one of these but the UK/Cdn exchange is not good right now...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Edward...if the jacket in your link is the USA made, 90's Alpha Replica...I used to own one that I bought brand new. I can tell you that its quality is every bit as good as the 1968, D-series original. The one I had was a bit smaller than the issued Alpha, but it was otherwise like owning a NOS '68 original...except for its color. Unfortunately, it was blue. When I finally came to grips with the fact that there were never any issued blue MA-1s, I sold it to a guy who didn't care a whit about its historical accuracy. As far as I know, he's still wearing it.

AF

bn1966

I had an XL go through my hands in sage but moved it on because the sleeves were far too long. That was in the days before I knew they could be shortened :-D

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
Edward...if the jacket in your link is the USA made, 90's Alpha Replica...I used to own one that I bought brand new. I can tell you that its quality is every bit as good as the 1968, D-series original. The one I had was a bit smaller than the issued Alpha, but it was otherwise like owning a NOS '68 original...except for its color. Unfortunately, it was blue. When I finally came to grips with the fact that there were never any issued blue MA-1s, I sold it to a guy who didn't care a whit about its historical accuracy. As far as I know, he's still wearing it.
That's definitely one of the 90s Replica jackets, since (until recently) I had one of the late 2000s Replica jackets and it was different in details.

And for what it's worth, I'm one of those people who don't give a damn about historical accuracy if quality is there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24