Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Toronto FLers!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I'm going to be coming down to Toronto Oct 11-16 for the Canadian Festival of Spoken Word (little plug, I'm involved, it's awesome.) While I am in the city, I will of course want to hit the vintage and fabric stores. I really don't know Toronto all that well, so I would like some tips on where to go. I know about Kensington in general and paid a brief visit last time I was in town, but with a non-shopper so I didn't really get to look all that much. Wish I could remember the name of the one shop I thought looked especially promising for golden era stuff.

So, I would love your expert recommendations for where to go for vintage and sewing stuff. Also, I don't know if there are ever any FLish get togethers in Toronto. Anything going on that week? Maybe we could get a little meet-up going? I am lacking in vintage comrades here in Ottawa, so the chance to talk vintage in person would be cool.

Somewhat related, I bought some fabric online from Tonic Living www.tonicliving.com and was really happy with everything. It looks like it might be all home dec fabric, but they actually have lots of nice apparel cottons. If you live in the area, you can get free shipping.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Sounds exciting! :) If enough Torontonians are around for a meet-up, I'm in.

For fabric stores, you want to hit Queen West. All the good stores are right at Queen and Spadina , across from Alexandra Park. First, go to Leo's Textiles - This is *the* best fabric store in Toronto, bar none. Queen Textiles is also good, and very affordable. You'll also find Queen Fabric and Buttons, Eurofab, Affordable Textiles, and Americo Original (that intersection is a bit of a fabric Valhalla.)

Now, onto vintage - While you're in Queen West, pay a visit to Cabaret. It's on Queen, a block west of Bathurst, on the North side. This man has the most beautifully kept furs, jewelery, hats, dresses, etc. from the 1930's to the 1960's - It's all genuine vintage. Dita Von Teese shops there when she's in the neighbourhood, and you'll see a signed portrait of her on the wall.

Further East, at Queen and Ossington, I Miss You is right on Ossington to the North of Queen. These people are famous snobs, but the quality of items there is quite high, and it's possible you'll come across vintage Dior or Yves St. Laurent.

If you find yourself in the East end, in the heart of Leslieville is Gadabout, which has great vintage clothes, shoes, and accessories, and also an assortment of textiles. Definitely worth the trip.

Here is a useful site that lists all these stores and more, like Courage My Love, Badlands Vintage and Penny Arcade (though I would give Black Market a miss.) These places are superior to most of the ones in Kensington Market, which lately have been carrying more junk and 70's "vintage" than anything else.

Final tip - Across from Cabaret is the cake shop Dufflet. All I can say is go there. And while you're in Queen West, you'll come across some, shall we say, interesting :)rolleyes:) people - Don't make eye contact, and ignore them if they yell out to you in the street, which they seem inclined to do while you're looking for a functioning parking meter.

Have fun :)

Last edited:

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks C-dot, that is enough of a list to keep me busy for sure!

In my brief survey of Kensington I did notice that it was mostly 70s stuff, but I do recall one shop that looked good, for 50s stuff anyway. I will need to get the map out and figure out where all this is in relation to where we are staying. Then to figure out when I will have time to squeeze it all in.

DNO

One Too Many
Hey, I've lived in T.O. my whole life and I'm learning things from C-dot's post. Knew about some of the fabric stores, Gadabout and Dufflets, but the rest is news to me (mostly). And C-dot is right...if you're near a Dufflets, don't walk by...go in. I might add that the St. Lawrence Antique market can be interesting...it's held at Front and Jarvis on Sundays. Enjoy your stay...it's a great city.

(This is in the Powder Room? First time I've posted here! That's what happens when you spend most of your time in the "What's New" section.)

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Reading this thread has made me want to come visit TO, SOON!

I've been to most of the stores you mention C-dot, I especially love Gadabout! Can't wait to get back there sometime.

There's a store near Much Music (on the opposite side of Queen) that looks like it has garbage, but inside there's some pretty nice 40s and 50s dresses. I bought a great 50s shirt waist dress there last time I was visiting.

I too skip the Black Market now. It used to be really good years ago! :(

Toronto has SO much more vintage stores than here. I love Kensington myself. I always find an amazing 50s dress or two, for cheap!

If any of you come to my neck of the woods...give me a shout!

X
BD

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It is pretty disappointing about Black Market. You used to make some good finds, now it's just tat.

I haven't seen anything 50's in Kensington for the longest time, and I really wish they would clean up the source of that pong - It's pretty bad in the summer lol

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The Black Market that shut down on Queen (the one on the same side of the St as Much Music I mean), didn't it open farther down Queen under another name? That's what they told me at the Black Market that's still on Queen (opposite side of St from MM). But I never made it to the new store. Does anyone know the name of that store?

X
BD

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The Black Market that shut down on Queen (the one on the same side of the St as Much Music I mean), didn't it open farther down Queen under another name? That's what they told me at the Black Market that's still on Queen (opposite side of St from MM). But I never made it to the new store. Does anyone know the name of that store?

X
BD

It's news to me! I'll be heading to Queen West sometime next week, so I think I'll do a recon.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It's news to me! I'll be heading to Queen West sometime next week, so I think I'll do a recon.

Excellent, do let us know. My brain doesn't work and I can't recall the name! But, they had business cards for the store at The Black Market. The store might not even exist anymore, things change so quickly there!

At least TO has WAY more vintage stores than here. *sighs* I MUST get to TO soon. ;0
X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone!

I'll be in TO and of course have to hit the vintage shops. I'll go back to Kensington and Gadabout and check out some of the places you suggest C-dot. I can't wait! I'm seriously due for a good vintage trawl. ;0

Does anyone know where there are good bead stores in downtown TO?

X
BD

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
I think all stores here have been summed up nicely, the only place I would mentioned is a little shop called Mrs. Huizenga's on Roncesvalles ...lately it has been totally spruced up and she has a lot of awesome vintage items, mostly I buy household items from there but I have found two gorgeous pairs of 40's shoes and a dress from the 50's there, and for very cheap...much less than you would find elsewhere in TO. It is worth the visit because Roncesvalles is an awesome street with great restaurants and other shops...I am pretty sure they have a bead shop too.

There is also a lot of bead/craft shops on Queen West as well, right near Spadina Ave. I used to work right around the corner from there. It is also worth it to check out the second hand shop right on the corner of Queen West and Spadina if you are in the area - they don't normally have a whole lot of older vintage, but one time I found a 1950's long line girdle bullet bra with garters....never used with tags still on! I paid $6! Another time I found a 1950's dress and paid $15, and also found a 1920's corset which I paid $7 for....definitely worth checking out!

I would be definitely up for a meet up, sounds like fun :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24