Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campaign Bed

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't access the 'box bed' that the OP first posted but did a google search of the term and found this. Damn, if you want a portable double to queen size bed this is The One.

Now that's roughing it in style! To bad it will never fit on one of my motorcycles.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This one actually got me to thinking, (yes, I smell smoke to!) If you made it out of aluminium, made the sides so they broke down into three sections, it would not be much bigger or heavier then an air mattress. Plus, no air pump, and probably more comfortable!
d4406662r_zps2b7ffa3d.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Great finds, Stearman! I like that first one quite a bit. Obviously it would have to be scaled up to be practical for an adult, as the text mentions, but I like the way it is all self-contained. Hmmm.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Might be a bit of a departure for the thread, but here's my $0.02.

I got tired of waking up sore after sleeping on the ground and searched for alternatives. Camp cots are fine, but they still take up valuable space with poles or frames. After a bit of time I spoke to a friend who camped by sleeping in a hammock. I gave it a shot and have never looked back. No poles or frames for my enclosure or bed, and everything packs down into a tiny bundle. I wake up refreshed and without aches or pains, and I can still sit up in the hammock like a chair to put on boots or shoes, etc.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Might be a bit of a departure for the thread, but here's my $0.02.

I got tired of waking up sore after sleeping on the ground and searched for alternatives. Camp cots are fine, but they still take up valuable space with poles or frames. After a bit of time I spoke to a friend who camped by sleeping in a hammock. I gave it a shot and have never looked back. No poles or frames for my enclosure or bed, and everything packs down into a tiny bundle. I wake up refreshed and without aches or pains, and I can still sit up in the hammock like a chair to put on boots or shoes, etc.

Pictures, we need pictures!

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Pictures, we need pictures!

Had to dig a bit, but here ya go...

Initial setup with my larger tarp. Note the uneven ground leading into the river. I got to sleep with cool breezes blowing off of the water all night long during this September camping trip. No rocks or roots in my back, and I'm sleeping level.
River Setup 1.jpg

A closer shot showing my homemade digital camo underquilt. Surprising how cool a Georgia fall night can get. I stayed plenty warm, and am able to vent the quilt as needed if temps in the hammock get too warm.
River Setup 2.jpg

A shot showing the tarp furled in its snakeskins. A check of the forecast verified no rain and near-0 humidity for the night, so I was able to look up through the bugnetting and stargaze without being bothered by mosquitos and gnats.
River Setup 3.jpg

The sides of the tarp can be lowered from porch mode to "tent" mode by removing the hiking poles, allowing water to be shed around the hammock. I've woken up a few times after a rainy night to find tent campers soggy inside their tents while I've stayed high and dry above it all. Best of all, no back aches and sleeping in comfort throughout the night.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Here's a few more, showing my smaller tarp. A group of us planned this outing weeks in advance, and arrived with the threat of incoming storms.

A shot of the hammock in "Porch" mode before the weather turned nasty.
Hammock_Side_White.jpg

And here's a hot someone else took of me while I was riding out the storm later that evening. Removed the hiking poles to drop the sides, and I was dry all night long.
Hammock_Buttoned_Up.jpg

Both the hammock and the tarp compress into two pretty small bundles, leaving lots of room for food or other essentials in my pack. My wife and I hang our hammocks head-to-foot under my larger tarp if we expect rain, and we can enjoy each other's company AND still sleep well through the night.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Those look comfortable. My only problem is, we don't always have trees to fasten it to.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
No trees? No problem. We can bring our own if necessary. Do a web search for "turtle dog stand". Weird name, but it's a fusion of portable hammock stands created by Turtle Lady and Old Dog on the Hammock Forums. Mine are made out of 4' 2x2 stock, fence top rail and some hardware.
Definitely don't pack down like the hammock and tarp, but worth loading in the car if we're unsure of trees in the area. I don't wanna sleep on the ground any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo