Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft shape to come ...

slimdigby

New in Town
Gentlemen, I anticipate the arrival of my first Akubra Campdraft relatively soon. Do you all recommend using steam or perhaps using cold or lukewarm water directly on the hat for working out the bash. For Stetson hats I have intuitively used moderate steam in the past. Most obliged, Digby

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
slimdigby said:
Gentlemen, I anticipate the arrival of my first Akubra Campdraft relatively soon. Do you all recommend using steam or perhaps using cold or lukewarm water directly on the hat for working out the bash. For Stetson hats I have intuitively used moderate steam in the past. Most obliged, Digby

Moderate steam should serve you well, keep in mind also that Akubras are much more robust and durable (IMO) than contemporary Stetsons. Though the only two Akubras I have, a regular Federation & an Open Road (i.e.- a Campdraft), seemed to respond quite well to a dry hand bashing, I don't think you'll harm them w/ steam. I can't wait to see it, what color did you opt for?

slimdigby

New in Town
Campdraft 1 and 2

Well, I have a custom Silver Belly halfway through the production, love it that they can tell you where your hat is. Then after seeing a very handsome Taupe Fawn presented in The Lounge, I could not resist opting for that one also. They had one in stock - so it was too tempting. All my felt hats are Silver Belly, so I figured it was time to try a new color. Cheers

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My best results have always been with cool or room-temperature distilled or spring water, especially on the crown. Akubra crowns may taper faster if exposed to steam. Try dry bashing first, and use only what you need in terms of water. My Campdraft responded to it very well.

slimdigby

New in Town
I have a look I like. Very mid 1950s Open Road I guess - a relatively soft bash. I'll post a picture of the desired style and consult with y'all. Good evening.

slimdigby

New in Town
Both actually. The custom order Silver Belly from Everything Australian and the in-stock Taupe Fawn from Hats Direct. Both outfits seem to be very good. Great communication, and they really seem to care all around. I should have the Taupe Fawn in 7-10 days. Will document the bashing process. But prior to that upload an image of the desired look. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace