Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can anybody advise me on if my coat is horsehide please

geostorm

New in Town
Hi all, i have decided to have clearout of wardrobe , among the items i no longer have need is one swedish leather knee length winter coat, has thick lining, as worn by officer, i purchased new in my mid twentys, have had 48 years worn once that was 80s when we had severe winter here , but nothing since far to warm to wear in uk , somebody told me that these were much sought after, and thi can only be described as mint condition. not sure if it is horsehide , as the only label shows a number 2 , any idea if put on ebay reserve i should ask.

The other is not so old probably about 25 years ,very soft leather , like a kid glove , waist length tan maroc fabriqe on label cuir veritable size 52 uk size more 42.

appreciate your help please.
thanks
Geoff:) having job to include pics.

just found a way
pictures are here

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/693/dscf1300n.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3746/dscf1301.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9427/dscf1304j.jpg (UPDATED!!)

JLStorm

Practically Family
From what I have heard, horsehide can be almost impossible to differentiate from steerhide depending on the way it is processed. The only thing that gives horsehide away easily to me in certain situations, is that it seems shinier, but again that is comparing it side by side to steerhide processed the same way.

Im sure one of the experts on here can be more help than I, but there is a chance that it will be very difficult to tell.

geostorm

New in Town
HI, I purchased this new in 60s from govt. surplas store in London as unused .
BellyTank said:
If it's Swedish, then it would most likely be Cow, or Elk.
So how old do you think that Swedish coat is? this is one i just found identitcal but well worn example.

GERMAN/SWEDISH 1940 LEATHER HORSEHIDE MILITARY COAT.
Buy It Now price: £325.00
End time: 12-Sep-09 13:35:42 BST
Go to My eBay | View all watched items

Have been informed that monstervintage had one for $899

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
$899 is way, way too much- even if I don't know exactly how old that coat is. They can be bought for around £100, or less- but the market is the market and ignorance is bliss, apparently. It's amazing sometimes, how un-resourceful people can be- the internet is HERE but people just can't be bothered to use it- rather pay triple the price for something, on auction instead of looking around the internet for a little while.

Sorry, not talking about you, just thinking about things I see, that sell on eBay for big money, that are not SO rare and can be bought in a shop for a lot less. But then it can work to my advantage, I guess.

B
T

JLStorm

Practically Family
I think your going to have trouble bringing in a higher price for it, unless you do some more research. Like BT said, people do pay ridiculous amounts of money on eBay for stuff, but generally they like to know exactly what they are buying.

geostorm

New in Town
swedish coat

BellyTank said:
$899 is way, way too much- even if I don't know exactly how old that coat is. They can be bought for around £100, or less- but the market is the market and ignorance is bliss, apparently. It's amazing sometimes, how un-resourceful people can be- the internet is HERE but people just can't be bothered to use it- rather pay triple the price for something, on auction instead of looking around the internet for a little while.

Sorry, not talking about you, just thinking about things I see, that sell on eBay for big money, that are not SO rare and can be bought in a shop for a lot less. But then it can work to my advantage, I guess.

Hi no i agree it seems crazy price monstervintage asking, and the guy on ebay, mind you where you find this quality today weighs 3.5 kg , this being like new must be 60yrs old cant be too many around

i have been told possibly naval officers of the 40s issue
T[/QUOTE
]

jac

Familiar Face
These are nice, but I don't think you've got horsehide here.

After a couple decades hh develops a certain look & character. Google some vintage hh images to see what I mean.

Good Luck!;)

geostorm

New in Town
swedish coat

Hi thanks for mail, i am only reffering to swedish coat, as i saw one identical advertised as horsehide, had mail from someone suggested it could be elk. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner