Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone explain/describe the softness of Schott jackets?

blueoakleyz

New in Town
I'm interested in getting one in the future, probably a 641 (I like the idea they are shorter), maybe a 141.

Now when people refer to softness I'm not sure what they mean. Are they talking about like how if you grab a jacket, how hard or easy it is to squeeze it together or move it around in your hand? Drape? Or is it referring to the touch (regardless of thickness). Like soft to the touch, smooth etc..
Personally i'm not too concerned about how stiff/easy it is to move, but I do like things that are soft/smooth to the touch

anyway could anyone give me a softness description of horsehide, naked cow, steer hide? thanks!

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I've two Schotts, a 641xx of heavy steerhide and the PER2 in hh...and they aren't "soft", the PER2 is broken in by the vintage treatment, but the xx still needs to be worn, it's not as hard as Aero heavy hh but close.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a Schott Cafe Racer in naked cowhide (I believe). It is not a stiff leather, nor was is it particularly "soft" to the touch when I first got it. Although it wasn't broken in out of the box, it didn't take long to get it that way. It is now much softer than when I first got it. A Fox Creek is broken in straight from the box, and is soft to the touch, While a Vanson is stiff and has a hard feel to it. I would say the Schott is between the two.

If you are asking for a description of the "Hand" of the jacket, I'm not too good at that compared to someone like HoosierDaddy. I think you will find a leather that is stiff, such as the Vanson competition weight cowhide, is not soft to the touch, and a leather that is pliable and broken in out of the box, such as Fox Creek, is soft to the touch.

If you are looking for a really soft leather that will give good protection in a go down, then Fox Creek is what you want. If you are seriously considering a Schott, then I think that once it his broken in, it will be soft enough for you. A Vanson will never be a soft jacket. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years, and it is still stiff and tough. If I had to choose one for a slide across the pavement, I would take the Vanson or my Aero Highwayman, even though I have heard good reports on the Fox Creek and the Schott. I have a bunch of other motorcycle jackets, including a very good Pakistan jacket with thick leather, that would give as good, or better protection than the others, and a bunch of goat jackets. But they aren't within the scope of your inquiry.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have a bunch of other motorcycle jackets, including a very good Pakistan jacket with thick leather, that would give as good, or better protection than the others

Good point. I have seen a lot of junk from Pakistan, India, China, et cetera. However, very good quality goods also come from overseas. It just depends on the manufacturer. Some have higher requirements for what they find acceptable. Everything I've seen from Taylor's Leatherwear, both the made in USA & imported, are top notch. The imported (usually Pakistan) is just as well made, with thick heavy leather and good stitching. Some of their imported jackets even have the much coveted single piece back. Some companies will not put their name on an inferior quality item, and even their overseas goods are high grade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael