Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone reccomend any focused forums for 1940s bebop ("modern") jazz?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Hi all, hope everyone's well.

Couple questions:

1. Can anyone recommend any focused web forums for 1940s bebop ("modern") jazz?
The forum doesn't have to be ONLY about that, but, if you know of some forum where they frequently discuss 1940s bebop jazz in some considerable depth & expertise, please let me know.

2. Long shot, but incase there's any hardcore 1940s bebop ("modern") jazz enthusiasts reading this:

Can anyone point me to any live jazz recordings Specifically recorded at Minton's (aka Minton's Playhouse) (in Harlem, NY), and specifically in the timespan years 1944-1950?

I have found live recordings from Minton's from Before 1944, and After 1950, but I'm looking Specifically for this time period only, of 1944-50.

Likewise, there are many live recordings from this time period from other clubs;
But I can't find any from Minton's in this time period;
And it was supposed to be the club's Heydey, where all kinds of important stuff was happening, even moreso than at other clubs on 52nd street. . . Seems someone Had to have made recordings during 1944-50. . .

Thanks, and cheers!,
- Bob

I don't have a firm answer to your question, but have you checked out archive.org? There are a boatload of live recordings on there, among other things.

Good luck!

...and report back!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
I don't have a firm answer to your question, but have you checked out archive.org? There are a boatload of live recordings on there, among other things.

Good luck!

...and report back!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I did check archive.org .

I did find a couple of studio recording singles (78 rpm, 3 min each) of two of the popular Minton's artists of that era, performing their own "homages" to the stuff going on at Minton's at that time, below. . . Talk about whetting one's appetite!. . . but nothing live from Minton's during that time. . .

"Minton's Madhouse", Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, from 1946-47,

"Midnight at Minton's", Teddy Edwards, from 1946-48,

Might be the "closest thing there is", but, I'd like to keep looking, at least for a while . . .

Thanks though!,

- Bob

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
The above are a couple things, but I can think of similar situations at other locations that better represent the birth of Be-Bop.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Well, shoot. I was hoping you'd find the Golden Ticket.

Yeah, the Maltese Falcon . . .

That's cool; Upon reading more about the place at that time, I'm guessing, maybe didn't particularly want any people coming in making recordings in that period, maybe they felt that was an intrusion from the outside world, or would stifle the musicians' creativity, or something. . .

Bird Lives, Yeah, man I LOVE the Wardell Gray (& with Dexter Gordon) stuff! - and yeah, those 1941 Minton's tracks are Tough!.

Picked up a few years back, a couple mid-40s 78s by Monk, before he recorded for Blue Note, made as the pianist for Hawk, and those are incredible too. . . There's still tons of great stuff to be heard. . .

1715699925254.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80