Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I stiffen "Lite Felt"?

MagicMan

New in Town
I have a Bailey Sperling that I really like, but it's made of "Lite Felt". Is there a way I can stiffen it up a bit so that it retains its crown shape?

I have a Bailey Sperling that I really like, but it's made of "Lite Felt". Is there a way I can stiffen it up a bit so that it retains its crown shape?
Yes, probably the least expensive is to buy Clear or Ultra Blonde shellac flakes on Ebay, mix a really light solution the colour of very weak pee with denatured alcohol. It is so much better/controllable to do multiple coats of light shellac rather than one thick one. (I use it regularly in my hat making as I buy lighter millinery weight felts for women's hats and then use the shellac to stiffen.) I am making an outdoorsy hat from dress weight rather than western weight and stiffened the brim last night. Was not stiff enough so gave another coat this morning and now it is just about right. I apply with a brush in as even a hand as I can manage. If you use light shellac you can go over it in the spots that are not stiff enough and thus even it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112