Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can somebody help educate me on leather thickness and cold weather suggestions?

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
Hi all. i have been looking for a new leather jacket for cold weather (Montreal)

So I've had a b-15 leather jacket for over a decade (i took it from my father about 12 years ago) and wore it every season. Now i wasn't ever cold provided I had a decent sweater underneath, but I want something that fits me a little bit better and have a bit more warmth if that's possible (my current one was warm as it stopped wind dead in its tracks). I posted an imgur album to show it off, and I believe it is cowhide. it weighs about 5.7 ish pounds according to my scale.

Now I have the option of steerhide with a cotton lining (which my current one has) or a sheepskin shearling

my questions:

1. what would a good steerhide mm size be? I'd like it about the same weight.

2. how many MM thick would a good sheepskin be? is 22mm good? 20? please educate me

3. I've been looking at RAF jackets like, say, an eastman raf 1940. What concerns me is the flap. when zipped up only half or 3/4 of the way, would the flap bounce on and off my body like a flappy tongue?

thanks everyone for your time to read and reply

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all. i have been looking for a new leather jacket for cold weather (Montreal)

So I've had a b-15 leather jacket for over a decade (i took it from my father about 12 years ago) and wore it every season. Now i wasn't ever cold provided I had a decent sweater underneath, but I want something that fits me a little bit better and have a bit more warmth if that's possible (my current one was warm as it stopped wind dead in its tracks). I posted an imgur album to show it off, and I believe it is cowhide. it weighs about 5.7 ish pounds according to my scale.

Now I have the option of steerhide with a cotton lining (which my current one has) or a sheepskin shearling

my questions:

1. what would a good steerhide mm size be? I'd like it about the same weight.

2. how many MM thick would a good sheepskin be? is 22mm good? 20? please educate me

3. I've been looking at RAF jackets like, say, an eastman raf 1940. What concerns me is the flap. when zipped up only half or 3/4 of the way, would the flap bounce on and off my body like a flappy tongue?

thanks everyone for your time to read and reply
The thickness of the leather doesn't matter, because leather alone doesn't insulate either way. My coldest leather is CXL, where I can feel the cold coming through despite the moleskin lining. I find sheep with wool tartan the warmest, if you leave shearling out of the equation.
If you've only ever worn cotton lining and you haven't been cold, 20mm shearling will be too much for you. Probably 10-12 mm is the better choice.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
The thickness of the leather doesn't matter, because leather alone doesn't insulate either way. My coldest leather is CXL, where I can feel the cold coming through despite the moleskin lining. I find sheep with wool tartan the warmest, if you leave shearling out of the equation.
If you've only ever worn cotton lining and you haven't been cold, 20mm shearling will be too much for you. Probably 10-12 mm is the better choice.
Thanks for your knowledgeable reply. I'll see about a warmer blend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner