Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

LaMedicine

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
I think it 50s. And I think the style is a "Kelly" bag, named after Grace Kelly, I believe.
No, it's not a Kelly bag, the design is different. The original Kelly bag is produced by Hermes, the French fashion maker. I don't have a pic, but going through the Hermes site will surely bring it up.
The design of the purse posted has been around quite a while, I remember my mother having one that looks like it in the 50s-early 60s.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Voilà, the classic Hermès Kelly bag:

aw1337863-1.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Heather, the style is 50s. I have several purses like this and absolutely love them. They are always bigger inside than they look!

While not technically a "Kelly Bag", this is the name that most sellers use to describe this kind of purse.

Mary

Practically Family
Will you help me date this dress?

fl0901004-1.jpg

It's darker on some parts cause I put a thin fabric on the back to support the thin fabric.

fl0901013.jpg

Lots of small pleats that "unpleat" when I sit on them. (How to I pleat them back?)

fl0901016.jpg

Very sheer material. You can see my fingers trough the fabric.

fl0901015.jpg

This is what the seams look like.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can help me date this quilt top I found in a thrift store. It's really pretty and I just had to save it! Of course, it's been sitting in storage container for a year now, and the most I've done to finish it has been to take it out once in a while to admire it :) Someday soon I hope!

The fabric on the right seems pretty 50's to me, but I'm a lousy judge, generally speaking.

3239827584_65f5b1367e.jpg

Thanks!

Foofoogal

Banned
I say also 50s on right or even leaning toward early 60s. but maybe earlier on left of the quilt. I would think people would have different material from mixed eras though. I posted on the quilt thread on the display forum here. maybe you can post there also. I would love to have a bunch of quilts to compare and show.

Foofoogal

Banned
Cannot believe noone has piped in on Marys dress. Driving me batty. Material looks 1930s like what Bonnie as in Bonnie and Clyde would wear but the collar is bothering me.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Thanks, Foofoogal! That's what I was leaning towards. I photographed that fabric on the right specifically because it seemed the most recent to my eyes :) I'll look for that quilt thread you mentioned.

Sunny

One Too Many
Mary said:
Will you help me date this dress?

fl0901004-1.jpg

It's darker on some parts cause I put a thin fabric on the back to support the thin fabric.

fl0901013.jpg

Lots of small pleats that "unpleat" when I sit on them. (How to I pleat them back?)

fl0901016.jpg

Very sheer material. You can see my fingers trough the fabric.

fl0901015.jpg

This is what the seams look like.
I'll take a stab, since no one else has. The style is distinctive late 20s - say 1926-9. The patterned material doesn't look very 20s to me, but I'm distinctly less knowledgeable on that decade. If it's not 20s, it'd have to be late 60s, maybe 70s. But the lack of serged seams, and especially that they're hand-overcast, makes the later date much less likely. Unless it was home-sewn in the 70s; but those fine accordian pleats seem a commercial thing to me. So overall, I'm plumping for the late 20s.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Sunny!

I was wondering why noone would give their opinion. I'm puzzled myself. I didn't think of it as 20's when I bought it years ago. Then I only saw those expensive beaded dresses as 1920's gowns but now I think maybe it is really that old. When do you think someone wore it? (Before the 40's clothes where so specific for a special context and time.)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The print material on your dress looks late 20s to me too, Mary.

I'd say it is home made by the finishing on the seams. That might be why there is an unusal juxtapostion of the two materials used. I'm pretty certain it's not a commercially made dress!

Foofoogal

Banned
Cannot believe noone has piped in on Marys dress. Driving me batty. Material looks 1930s like what Bonnie as in Bonnie and Clyde would wear but the collar is bothering me.

I did earlier. Late 20s. Early 30s.

Sunny

One Too Many
Mary said:
Thanks Sunny!

I was wondering why noone would give their opinion. I'm puzzled myself. I didn't think of it as 20's when I bought it years ago. Then I only saw those expensive beaded dresses as 1920's gowns but now I think maybe it is really that old. When do you think someone wore it? (Before the 40's clothes where so specific for a special context and time.)
Well, neat! I think you have quite a find! It looks in great condition, and very wearble. What use was it for? It looks like a nice day dress or semi-casual party dress of some kind. It's definitely not a house dress, but it looks too casual to be a street dress or business dress, especially sleeveless. You're right, though, that the fabric's certainly not formal. A good multi-purpose dress, I think! :eusa_clap

texasgirl

One Too Many
So I finally got the sailor dress, only took 2 wks-ugh, but I don't know if it is a 40s dress. It kinda looks 80s to me, but I'm no expert. But then some 40s and 80s stuff looks similar. I don't know.
I took some close-ups. Let me know what ya'll think before I bug the seller. I was planning on wearing this for 40s reeenacting. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
I did some searching on Pepperell and it does look they made navy shirts, etc during the war?

101_0049.jpg

101_0050.jpg

101_0052.jpg

101_0053.jpg

101_0054.jpg

101_0055.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Any one have any thoughts? I tried to show the shoulder pads, which are serged? (I'm not sure if that's the right term) When did this start? And the hem is so precise and pockets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred