Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Red Cross Shoes

I found these great Red Cross shoes recently and I am guessing they are 40s but was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more specific. They are red leather and have leather soles with metal nails in heels. The lining also has what looks to be a nylon lining where the toes go. Any input would be great. Thanks!
IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
64tonya said:
I found these great Red Cross shoes recently and I am guessing they are 40s but was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more specific. They are red leather and have leather soles with metal nails in heels. The lining also has what looks to be a nylon lining where the toes go. Any input would be great. Thanks!
IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

They're either pre-1942 or post-1948, since Red Cross Shoes were marketed as "Gold Cross" during those years under an agreement intended to protect the Red Cross symbol during the war and its immediate aftermath. They look slightly more postwar to me than prewar, but more forties than fifties, so possibly 1948-49 or so?

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks for the opinions, Lauren and Lily - you've confirmed my thoughts about the coat. At first I thought it was 60s, but as you said, the label looks later. I still may contact the company to see if I can find out more about it because it's such a striking design.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
They're either pre-1942 or post-1948, since Red Cross Shoes were marketed as "Gold Cross" during those years under an agreement intended to protect the Red Cross symbol during the war and its immediate aftermath. They look slightly more postwar to me than prewar, but more forties than fifties, so possibly 1948-49 or so?
Wow, Thanks LizzieMaine! I didn't know that about the "Gold Cross"

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
The style is more post 1948. Super cute! I love red shoes.
That is great info, Lizzie! Filing away in my memory for future use...

epr25

Practically Family
I found this outfit last week, I am going to list it this weekend. It has a Fredricks of Hollywood tag and is marked a 12. I am thinking it's 50's? Metal zipper on both pieces and it's the cotton with metallic accents I have had on other items. The one piece I woudln't call it a bathing suit or jump suit, with the matching skirt. What does everyone think?

4-1.jpg
[/IMG]
1-2.jpg
[/IMG]
2-2.jpg
[/IMG]
3-1.jpg
[/IMG]
5-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Heather

Practically Family
Does anyone have any info on the Jaclyn USA brand? I'm looking at a purse from the 50's with that label. I'm trying to post a photo but having technical issues...

Rachael

A-List Customer
I had almost forgotten about these bags, but was walking past the shop where I found them today. They are both velvet with steel beadwork (you can see some rust on the white bag). The black bag has beadwork on front and back, the white is only beaded on the front. Only the white bag had a marking on the box, but they appear to be of same or similar make. I would love to make a dress to match one or both, but need to know what era I'm looking at.

clutches.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rachael said:
I had almost forgotten about these bags, but was walking past the shop where I found them today. They are both velvet with steel beadwork (you can see some rust on the white bag). The black bag has beadwork on front and back, the white is only beaded on the front. Only the white bag had a marking on the box, but they appear to be of same or similar make. I would love to make a dress to match one or both, but need to know what era I'm looking at.

clutches.jpg

I'd say 1960's. A clear picture of any hardware would help confirm that guess.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Warbaby, I think, but could be mistaken, that that is 80s mimicking earlier styles.

epr25, My gut extinct is late 1890s, though it could probably be as late as 1905. That's stunning. Lovely!

I agree with both of these comments. I'm going to be very firm on the coat and say it's 1890's; and it is a cold-weather driving coat (for driving in a car).

I had a full length one almost exactly like it, and decided to sell it as I didn't wear it here in California - the thing was too hot! Before selling it, I did extensive research on the coat, and it was definately 1890's. I'd show a picture, but I seem to have deleted all my images.

The embellishments could stretch and be anytime during the period Lauren mentioned, but the clincher is the label - definately 1890's typography.

That's my opnion and I'm sticking to it. :D

Rachael

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
I'd say 1960's. A clear picture of any hardware would help confirm that guess.

no hardware to speak of since they are soft clutches. they do close with snaps marked Newey followed by the patent number. the insides are silk satin, and have pockets that appear to be the size of an ID or credit card; that would follow with 1960's I think. I would love to carry the white one to an Edward Gorey garden party, which would be either very or not at all accurate depending on whether I'm going for Gorey's era or the era he depicted.

Rachael

A-List Customer
oh, that is very helpful! does the dash in the number matter? the number is 201430-22. I searched for that patent and found two references, one is for dating an armband based in the snap. The poster on the Great War Forum stated this was a 1922 patent, making the armband in question a WWII item instead of a Great War item. Does this follow? And would it make these from the mid-war period or just identify that they were from on or after that date? I would presume that fasteners like these are used for years following their patent year, just as zippers don't change year to year.

I forgot to photograph the reverse of the white purse; it has a self-fabric beaded strap which is sewn flat leaving a 2" opening at the center where one can slip a finger through. It is clearly handsewn in place, as I can see the stitches in 1/4" intervals.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Rachael said:
oh, that is very helpful! does the dash in the number matter? the number is 201430-22. I searched for that patent and found two references, one is for dating an armband based in the snap. The poster on the Great War Forum stated this was a 1922 patent, making the armband in question a WWII item instead of a Great War item. Does this follow? And would it make these from the mid-war period or just identify that they were from on or after that date? I would presume that fasteners like these are used for years following their patent year, just as zippers don't change year to year.

I forgot to photograph the reverse of the white purse; it has a self-fabric beaded strap which is sewn flat leaving a 2" opening at the center where one can slip a finger through. It is clearly handsewn in place, as I can see the stitches in 1/4" intervals.

I don't know if the dash in the patent matters or not. Try this: Google the patent # this way, using the quotations: "201430-22" You'll see several references to the Newey patent, many of them on snap closures on military UK or Australian hats. There are also some matches to beaded purses with that patent, and many seem to be from early 1940's to mid 1950's.

Then try another Google search: "The Ivory Palace""New Delhi""beaded" and you'll find a few more purses from there, with descriptions that might help you narrow down the years.

I love to research my vintage clothes and jewelry. It's always fun to see the long journey they've made over the decades and then into my closet! :)

cecil

A-List Customer
First post in this thread!

Bought this hat recently and was curious as to its age.

il_430xN.44216078.jpg

i could take a really random stab and say like...1947...but really, I have no clue.

Thanks for any help! It does have a tag that apparently says "Haverhill Bradford Corporation" but that's just a place, isn't it? I can take a photo of the label once it arrives if it would help any.

- cecil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo