Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Stetsons

Ivano

One of the Regulars
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ivano

One of the Regulars
Some of you may know that I am back to the lounge and have been posting on various threads as well as one I started that ended up on the classified section. I do intend to market these eventually but trying to get more info about hats based on the feedback that I am getting. The Stetson above is in a light gray. Never worn. The brim measures 2 and 1/4 inches and the crown 5 and 1/2 inches.There are no other identifiable features or tags. Other than some dust this hat is in excellent condition and appears to never have been worn. I have 5 other Stetsons and will post one a day for you to enjoy. Also not sure if Carole Wolthausen is still around but I messaged her regarding having several hats with the Wolthausen label.

Very interesting hat. I have this atypical size tag on a Stetson Opera hat. The sweatband is integral to the construction and can't be peeked behind for any other clues to manufacture. Nothing else points to a Canadian origin, though I have always thought that the Gibus frame construction might originate from a different factory.

stetstopper7.jpg

stetstopper4.jpg

Ivano

One of the Regulars
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Based on some reading from the Brockville Museum ( Brockville is south of Ottawa and very near the New York or Vermont border) Stetson bought a factory from the Wolthausen Hat Factory. Amongst other Stetson the museum literature suggests that they made 'fine felt dress hats like the Sovereign or Royal Stetson...and a line called the Playboy.' The museum states that this plant was the first plant outside of Philadelphia where Stetsons were manufactured and were shipped all over Canada and the United States. This plant closed in May 1970. The pics I sent of the feather weight was yesterday's offering but didn't go until early this morning. Below are today's offering: three that are almost identical in color. 2 of the three appear to have never been worn. One with the dark blue lining has some wear on it. It's the one on top in the group shot. Enjoy!

Reviving an old thread. This Canadian Premier Stetson came to me via an auction house in Ontario, CAN. Originally purchased at Affleck's Hat Shop in Winnipeg, this is a wonderful, Wanderer-type fedora that came to me in nearly pristine condition. The hat was manufactured by Stetson at their Wolthausen factory in Brockville, Ontario. Research in this thread shows Stetson purchased Wolthausen in 1935 and the hat factory there closed in 1971. I am not certain on age on this hat, but have a vague sense it's late 40s/early 50s. Also, an interesting box from the Brockville factory.

Specs: 5 1/2" OC, 2 5/8" bound brim, 3/4" ribbon.

Picture9.jpg
Picture10.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture7.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture1.jpg

Reviving an old thread. This Canadian Premier Stetson came to me via an auction house in Ontario, CAN. Originally purchased at Affleck's Hat Shop in Winnipeg, this is a wonderful, Wanderer-type fedora that came to me in nearly pristine condition. The hat was manufactured by Stetson at their Wolthausen factory in Brockville, Ontario. Research in this thread shows Stetson purchased Wolthausen in 1935 and the hat factory there closed in 1971. I am not certain on age on this hat, but have a vague sense it's late 40s/early 50s. Also, an interesting box from the Brockville factory.

View attachment 317291 View attachment 317292 View attachment 317286 View attachment 317285 View attachment 317290 View attachment 317289 View attachment 317288 View attachment 317287 View attachment 317284
Nice find, Jim.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 317291 View attachment 317292 View attachment 317286 View attachment 317285 View attachment 317290 View attachment 317289 View attachment 317288 View attachment 317287 View attachment 317284

Congrats. That hat is really a gem!

Eric -

JamesC

Familiar Face
another thing is the crown is 5 1/4 which is soft to the touch and the brim is 2 3/4 but stiff is this normal for Canadian hats? thanks

another thing is the crown is 5 1/4 which is soft to the touch and the brim is 2 3/4 but stiff is this normal for Canadian hats? thanks

I don't think it's terribly unusual for any hat that is meant to be shaped by the wearer. Vintage hats served with open crown are soft, and the brim stiffness can vary. More dressy hats may be softer, more crossover hats (such as an Open Road), seem to have a stiffer brim, especially in the later years, after which the whole thing was made stiff, like they are now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails