Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can't get the stiff out of the hat

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Several people mentioned using Isopropyl alcohol on their hat to remove the stiffener. I tried this on a tough one I own, and it did nothing. If anything, the hat seems maybe a bit more stiff now... :(

I used 91% Isopropyl, and soaked it for over an hour; drained it well, and laid it on a towel to dry.

Did I miss a step?

NonEntity

Suspended
Tell us what kind of hat it is. That would help, as some makers put stiffener in, while the felt of others is inherently stiff.

For example, I got an Akubra Banjo Paterson a few years back and was initially disappointed that the "Heritage Collection" premium felt was so dang stiff, yet I learned that there is not one whit of stiffener in this hat. That's just the way it is.

However, its being an Akubra, I was not afraid to put it through the ringer. So I treated it like a cheap whore--bent it this way and that, slapped and banged it, and tried to wear it out. It eventually became more pliable, but is still far from a soft hat.

So wear the heck out of it to break it in. Yet, you may have to just accept that this particular hat will never be truly soft no matter what you do.

But you have not wasted your time, for, with all that isopropyl alcohol in it, you will never have to worry about your head developing an infection!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel! Long time no see! Great to see you again! Don't have any ideas about your hat stiffness problem other than paint thinner which I'm sure is a dubious suggestion. Been a bit absent myself of late. Spotty posting these days for me. Take care.

dean

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
If the stiffener is shellac then the solvent is denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol. I am a woodworker with decades of experience in wood. I am not a milliner. Don't ruin a hat on my say so.

Stoney

Practically Family
Caroselvic is correct.

Also if the felt on the outside of the hat appears matted and stiff a good brushing may help loosen it up. Just don't get carried away and brush a hole in it.
;)

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Hi Dean. Glad you're still around. Having twins limited my internet use for a while. ;)

The character of the felt's finish wasn't really changed by the Iso dunking, but it sure didn't soften it up. Is there really a shellac/varnish that will disolve in denatured, but not isopropyl alcohol?

hat stiffner

I would work the hat until it softened up, There is no telling that kind of sizing the millner used.
If the sizing is a shelac base, use the alcohol to sponge up eccess sizing, but it could be a bio based sizing and using alcohol, the sizing will turn gummy and ruin the hat.
So unless you know that kind of sizing was used, I myself would stick to just working the hat soft.
My 2 cents.
SoaP

qwerty

Familiar Face
Did anyone menage to soften the felt of Akubra Federation?
I have a gray Federation that looks really good but I always feel it more like a prop then like a peace of clothing. Did someone turn the felt into something soft enough to roll up. I have another hat that is much cheaper but the felt is soft so it is much nicer to wear.

AlanC

My Churchill Open Road-style hat is stiff, such that I've never worn it. I need to figure out something to do with it, though. It also has a fair amount of powder in it, which is even more annoying. It's frustrating as it's quite a handsome hat.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
I have a new to me Resistol western hat that is stiff as the proverbial board. Can anyone recommend a sizing remover for the Resistol brand?

bond

I have a western 7x Stetson that I just soaked in warm water and thrashed about for a good 20 minutes
It's on the block drying now well see what Tomorrow brings.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
I am happy to see this thread. I have one of the Stetson Buffalo felt hats that is super stiff. Any suggestions are welcome.

bond

Well after a brief washing in warm water and drying on the block the hat softened up considerably, but when I steamed and shaped it again the stiffness came back some. Honestly though I think if I were to do this again with a 7x I would throw the hat in the washing machine with warm water and let it get really thrashed about and see what sort of results that would get.
7DFF20E0-18AE-48F0-9A0E-E3249E009B44-11732-000011C845F19EE9_zps349a590e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy