Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Coats.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
What's the word on "vintage" and or quality car coats. I've a 20 year old M Julian 4 button car coat that I'm really loving right now and would like to know, in that I know next to nothing, what's valued or respected in this line of cloathing.

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What's the word on "vintage" and or quality car coats. I've a 20 year old M Julian 4 button car coat that I'm really loving right now and would like to know, in that I know next to nothing, what's valued or respected in this line of cloathing.

Worf

Well, I wouldn't call the M Julian vintage as such - it's a 1990's Asian made mall jacket. I don't mind them but the only reason any M Julian has a following is that the fanboys like the series Supernatural, which uses a Wilsons jacket like this.

Good car coats might include Aero and Lost Worlds - you may even find Herculeas or Sears car coats from the 1950's.

D

Deleted member 16736

In my opinion (and I know because I've looked), there isn't a car coat made today I'd consider owning. You'll find ones from LW and Aero, but they aren't as classy or nice as the ones you'll find on eBay from the 40's-50's. The A-2 jacket has sucked the life out of leather jacket reproductions to the point where classic civilian designs like the car coat or bomber jacket are almost completely ignored by the leather repro market. It's sad, because they were more popular than the A-2, which of course was just a military-issue garment for the most part.

If you want a vintage car coat, check out the Windward and Hercules jackets from the 40's/50's on eBay. There's usually a few for sale and you can find a good deal if you're not too tall.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well, since I'm tall and big (but losing) I'm guess I'm stuck. I'm too big for Aero I'll have to check LW and see what they make. I know that M Julian is not "vintage" compared to stuff from the 30's through 50's but it's all I've found that's not toilet paper soft lambskin from today.

Worf

D

Deleted member 16736

I haven't found a car coat with 26" sleeves in the year I've been looking. But I do seem some 24" chests with 25" sleeves. If your chest size is over 50", then you need a repro. LW's Bedford is not bad.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Worf,
Did you know some of the Aero jackets go up to 56" chest (Highwayman and 1/2 belt) and some of the longer ones(Long Half Belt, Hercules and Vest De Rallye) go up to 54" and are very generously cut! if you e-mail them they will send you the actual measurements, I bet you could get one to fit!

D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I forgot. Johnson Leathers will do one in any size. I have one of their car coats, it's a 1950-60's style. Mine is naked cowhide - I chose 2.5oz as I dislike thick leather and 2.5oz is plenty thick enough. You can make it longer or shorter.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Johnson in San Fran. Great outfit. Armor n fashion meet, just south of the Golden Gate. Nice call, Seb. You are the less than thick maven.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I would also recommend that you contact Johnson Leathers.

I received my custom leather jacket from them earlier this month. The longer I live with the jacket, the more impressed I am with it. I don't think that a day has gone by when i've worn the jacket that I haven't received at least one random compliment about it. Johnson Leathers are very accommodating and simply a great outfit to work with.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
Well, since I'm tall and big (but losing) I'm guess I'm stuck. I'm too big for Aero I'll have to check LW and see what they make. I know that M Julian is not "vintage" compared to stuff from the 30's through 50's but it's all I've found that's not toilet paper soft lambskin from today.

Worf

I here you on that. I just picked up a mint black M. Julian leather car coat (I guess you can call it that) at the local thrift shop for about 35 bucks. I was surprised by how heavy the jacket actually was, and the hide seemed to be as thick or thicker than my Brooks Cafe Racer jacket which basically puts to shame these weeny mall cafe racer jackets that you see walking around with the funny looking stripes on the arms.

I will say, though, that the tanning on the M. Julian jacket seems a bit different, more shiny with a markedly different smell, than most nice vintage cowhide MC jackets I have come across.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any specific technical information on the tanning process of the heavy duty Wilsons leather jackets. I do know that that particular jacket retailed for about 400 or 500 bucks (in the same ballpark as the high-end stuff). Most of the jacket lining is basically just lining and leather (a good thing), but I was disappointed that there are thin shoulder pads (easily removable) and fill in the sleeves. When will these mall jacket companies learn that leather doesn't keep you that warm; you wear it for protection and to look cool, not to stay warm.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
Well, I wouldn't call the M Julian vintage as such - it's a 1990's Asian made mall jacket. I don't mind them but the only reason any M Julian has a following is that the fanboys like the series Supernatural, which uses a Wilsons jacket like this.

Good car coats might include Aero and Lost Worlds - you may even find Herculeas or Sears car coats from the 1950's.

MIne is made in India (not quite China or Vietnam). It is funny that you mention that show. I have seen a few episodes and I thought the dude who wears that car coat looking thing actually pulls it off, and the coat looked pretty nice too. I looked it up online, and I did see that the costume designers actually used a Wilsons jacket, which surprised me. It just goes to show you that from a distance it is really hard to tell the difference between the good, the great, and the not so good. This seems to also be the case with that Mike guy from American Pickers. It just kills me that this guy probably is actually finding horsehide jackets in these peoples' sheds and offering them about 30 bucks.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I here you on that. I just picked up a mint black M. Julian leather car coat (I guess you can call it that) at the local thrift shop for about 35 bucks. I was surprised by how heavy the jacket actually was, and the hide seemed to be as thick or thicker than my Brooks Cafe Racer jacket which basically puts to shame these weeny mall cafe racer jackets that you see walking around with the funny looking stripes on the arms.

I will say, though, that the tanning on the M. Julian jacket seems a bit different, more shiny with a markedly different smell, than most nice vintage cowhide MC jackets I have come across.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any specific technical information on the tanning process of the heavy duty Wilsons leather jackets. I do know that that particular jacket retailed for about 400 or 500 bucks (in the same ballpark as the high-end stuff). Most of the jacket lining is basically just lining and leather (a good thing), but I was disappointed that there are thin shoulder pads (easily removable) and fill in the sleeves. When will these mall jacket companies learn that leather doesn't keep you that warm; you wear it for protection and to look cool, not to stay warm.

You're the first guy I've met here that "gets" why we wore leather back in the day... protection from the errant blade or bottle and to look cool. When I wanted one back then the family couldn't afford one. Now that I can afford one, they're shams of their former glory. Paper thin crap with moniker's like "hipster" on em. Pheh... Even though you're a long way a way from here I feel ya bro!

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
MIne is made in India (not quite China or Vietnam). It is funny that you mention that show. I have seen a few episodes and I thought the dude who wears that car coat looking thing actually pulls it off, and the coat looked pretty nice too. I looked it up online, and I did see that the costume designers actually used a Wilsons jacket, which surprised me. It just goes to show you that from a distance it is really hard to tell the difference between the good, the great, and the not so good. This seems to also be the case with that Mike guy from American Pickers. It just kills me that this guy probably is actually finding horsehide jackets in these peoples' sheds and offering them about 30 bucks.

Well India is part of Asia - the Southern end. I have to say the Wilson's jacket looks pretty ordinary on the show I think. With all those messy back panels and the boxy fit, I cas see why peopel go bespoke. I'm sure it is a heavish jacekt though unlike the crap lamb jackets of today.

As for wearing leather for protection - I don't. I wear it for the convenience. It's comfortable, it goes with anything, it doesn't need washing and it is hard wearing.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I finally went out and took some pics of the car coats I have managed to get.

Coat1015.jpg

Ash brand car coat from England. Originally black now faded brown. Fit's like a glove and lined to boot.

Coat1016.jpg

M Julian in goat leather. Neck obviously "puffs up" when my hands are in my pockets but I love the feel and look of the leather.

Just need one in black and I'll be set.

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
A while back you questioned whether the faded to brown car coat should be re dyed black. After seeing the picture, definitely not. I would leave it the way it is as it has taken years to develop that character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy