Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carnation in lapel?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the pic Miss H, doesn't that look GREAT on him with the tux!! Though sometimes the scent of a fresh gardenia is so potent it can almost be overwhelming, like freesias. Gardenias are often seen worn by Art Deco ladies ladies in their hair to the Balls, very 30s and 40s.

HadleyH said:
........ if you must wear something [huh] try a gardenia instead!
Menswear designer Tom Ford, often wears a fresh gardenia in the lapel of his double breasted tuxedo.

PJ-AM522_ASKTER_20080604183315.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
I'm assuming they are David Austin roses NickD, or are they antique varieties?

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about roses, but I'll ask my landlord, who's also my neighbor and enjoys gardening.

Highlander

A-List Customer
OK, they tell me the hole in the jacket was originally intended for a button lanyard that went to your hat? Is that correct?

I also read here that apparently some jackets had a strap or some such under the lapel to hold the stem of the flower, I have never seen that nor even hear of it. Very interesting.

Please educate me (well if you can, I am slow sometimes). :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
Thanks for the pic Miss H, doesn't that look GREAT on him with the tux!! Though sometimes the scent of a fresh gardenia is so potent it can almost be overwhelming, like freesias. Gardenias are often seen worn by Art Deco ladies ladies in their hair to the Balls, very 30s and 40s.

It is funny you mention that because I have actually worn Gardenias several times when attending Bar Association related Black Tie functions. Maybe it was the scent given off by that beautiful flower, or perhaps the cut of the tuxedo, but, I was given many compliments on my attire and the flower. ;)

Moreover, no one has ever called me a lady; at least to my face. :eek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:

You are welcome. Yes, gardenias were one of the most popular flowers worn by men during the 20s and 30s (along with carnations). And probably the reason they were so popular was exactly because of the beautiful scent! :)

To my eye, flowers in men lapels look best only for black tie functions or formal occasions, like Carlisle Blues mentioned above. Flowers in lapels for everyday wear..... well..... they don't tickle my fancy! :p [huh]

Fred Astaire loved his gardenias! ;)
fred_astaire.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In 1935 there was even a song - "suggested by" Carl Brisson, the Danish matinée idol.

Oh I bring a little white gardenia
As refreshing as a day in May
You may wear it if you care or toss it away

...And if we should ever meet again dear
Accident'ly or by fate's design
If you wear a little white gardenia
I know you'll be mine

3948388015_49076ff545.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Green Carnations"

763889359_59b6c073f5.jpg

Noel Coward was so taken with this bloom, he wrote a Tune!

"Green Carnation"

Blasé boys are we
Exquisitely free
From the dreary and quite absurd
Moral views of the common herd
We like porphyry bowls
Chandeliers and stoles
We're most spirited, carefully filleted souls

Pretty boys, witty boys, too, too, too
Lazy to fight stagnation
Haughty boys, naughty boys, all we do
Is to pursue sensation
The portals of society are always open'd wide
The world our eccentricity condones
A lot of quaint variety we're certain to provide
We dress in very decorative tones
Faded boys, jaded boys, wormankind's
Gift to a bulldog nation
In order to distinguish us from less
enlightened minds
We all wear a green carnation

Pretty boys, witty boys, you may sneer
At our disintegration
Haughty boys, naughty boys, dear, dear, dear
Swooning with affectation
Our figures sleek and willowy
Our lips incarnadine
May worry the majority a bit
But matrons rich and billowy
Invite us out to dine
And revel in our phosphorescent wit
Faded boys, jaded boys, come what may
Art is our inspiration
And as we are the reason for the
nineties being gay
We all wear a green carnation

Carlisle Blues

As I read further in The Black Tie Guide it advises that men seeking to add this classic flare to their black-tie outfit will require a flower that is small yet sturdy. Strict social etiquette dictates a choice from only four “correct” flowers: a blue cornflower, a red or white carnation or a gardenia.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Accessories.htm

collage.jpg

That picture of Fred Astaire flows from cuff link to ring to cuff link to gardenia... very nice.. ;)

Carlisle Blues

Fletch said:
Do any of those 4 have meanings the uninitiated might need to be aware of?

I am so glad you asked Fletch...:)

The GARDENIA: secret love!!!!!!!!!!! and that is why I wear them when attending my Black Tie affairs...;:)

The CORNFLOWER: Delicacy...;

The CARNATION, RED: Alas for my poor heart, admiration, my heart aches for you, fascination; and

The CARNATION, WHITE: Innocence, faithfulness, sweet and lovely, pure love, ardent love, good luck......;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^

Like an earring hanging on this lobe or a kerchief hanging from that pocket?

Carlisle Blues

Tomasso said:
Like an earring hanging on this lobe or a kerchief hanging from that pocket?

That is an excellent question I will defer to the Gardenia detractor for a much more in depth explanation. [huh]

As far as I am concerned the Poppy is also a flower.....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The other name for the blue cornflower is 'bachelor's buttons' so I think that at least one message from them on a married man might be trouble in paradise! lol

I'm in charge of planning all things flower-based for the wedding of me and my Mr. next summer (he's in charge of music and I think the ravening horde I call a family is in charge of the food) and I'm plotting orange flowers for the menfolk but I am torn on what exactly that orange flower should be. Should I post pics or is that too precious?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart