Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
The acting and direction are great in CASABLANCA, but the writing is every bit as key to the movie's success. It's an amazing script, with memorable lines coming at the audience at a fast and furious pace.

Also, to describe CASABLANCA as just another picture doesn't really tell the story. The studio heads certainly came to realize they had something special, and producer Hal Wallis and director Michael Curtiz were certainly members of the studio's "A" team at the time. Bogart was a star seriously on the rise, and big things were expected of Ingrid Bergman.

So while it may not have been hyped on the scale of GONE WITH THE WIND, a mere crank-it-out programmer it decidedly was not, not by a long shot.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think they might already have made a sequel to "Casablanca" (without realizing it). It's called "Mr Arkadin", with Orson Welles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048393/

I've often thought I'd like to see a remake of "Mr Arkadin", with maybe Bruce Willis as the disillusioned soldier of fortune (tho I think he's probably too old now), and maybe Michael Caine in the Welles part. And done with slavish accuracy to the 1955 period styles.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I like thinking of films that are unwitting sequels to each other (there's a topic for a thread!). I've always thought of "The Sand Pebbles" as a sequel to the opera "Madame Butterfly".

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just read the article. Gak! It would be set in the 60s! Double gak! Nothing good can come of this. Doesn't anybody remember that wonnnnnnderful sequel to GWTW? Triple gak.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Plus, Casablanca would not be Casablanca without the great looming fact of the War hanging over everybody's life. No war, and it just becomes another story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo