Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cavanagh Edge?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
feltfan said:
That doesn't answer the question of whether or not they paid
to use the Cavanagh patent for the edge... If one is trying to
determine how a lower priced hat could offer the same feature,
this could be important.

I do have a Crofut & Knapp hat with a "Cavanagh Edge"
stamp on the sweat.
But it's a very old hat and practices
might have changed as time went on. I suppose Cavanagh
might not have required the name "Cavanagh Edge" to accompany
licensed use.

We've all heard that John Cavanagh may have begun his career working for Crofut & Knapp. If this is true, then it wouldn't have been counterproductive for Crofut & Knapp, as Mr. Cavanagh's employers, to apply the name of their clever employee to his invention.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
We've all heard that John Cavanagh may have begun his career working for Crofut & Knapp. If this is true, then it wouldn't have been counterproductive for Crofut & Knapp, as Mr. Cavanagh's employers, to apply the name of their clever employee to his invention.

But again, who knows? They might have resented him
for striking out so successfully on his own. These days
they would have sued him, claiming he created the process
on their time, no doubt.

If someone could take out the Ouija board and get the word
from John Cavanagh, I'd really appreciate it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Gents, John Cavanagh did develop the Cavanagh Edge while at Crofut & Knapp. He served as their General Manager before starting his own hat company. However, both companies were a part of Hat Corporation of America by 1932, and there appears to have been a good relationship between the two the whole time.

Cavanagh could have licensed the process to other hat companies prior to 1932 or so, while the patent was still in effect. However, there doesn't seem to be much evidence that suggests this ever happened.

Other companies don't appear to have made Cavanagh Edges until after 1932-1933, after the original patent had expired, so that they didn't have to pay anything for its use. The name didn't matter at that point, which is why other companies came up with their own monikers for it.

The name was trademarked, but that only meant that no one could use the name without paying Cavanagh for it. They could still use the patent, since it was in the public domain.

And to answer astaire's question, the Cavanagh Edge required high-quality fur for the felt, and the felt had to be high-quality as well. Adding in the extra cost to manufacture the edge, and a lower priced hat is almost out of the question.

However, that's not to say that they couldn't be found at reasonable prices. For instance, in the early 1950s, Lee, one of the most prolific hat makers, and accustomed to producing low priced hats, offered their "Edgelee," a Cavanagh Edged hat for $12.50. This, in a price range of hats from $7.50 to $20. So it did happen, but more often toward the end of the glory years of hats.

Brad

astaire

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
And to answer astaire's question, the Cavanagh Edge required high-quality fur for the felt, and the felt had to be high-quality as well. Adding in the extra cost to manufacture the edge, and a lower priced hat is almost out of the question.

However, that's not to say that they couldn't be found at reasonable prices. For instance, in the early 1950s, Lee, one of the most prolific hat makers, and accustomed to producing low priced hats, offered their "Edgelee," a Cavanagh Edged hat for $12.50. This, in a price range of hats from $7.50 to $20. So it did happen, but more often toward the end of the glory years of hats.

Brad

Thanks for the insight Brad. You are the Cavanagh-edge expert around here. It's fascinating to know that you have spent alot of time researching this subject.

There were a few not-so-famous hatters who made hats with this edge treatment. I happen to buy one of these a couple of weeks ago. From the dimensions, it seems to come from the early 50's. Thus the reason why I asked this question. BTW, Marc just got one of those in dark green a few days ago (c'mon, admit it Marc ;) ).

I hope i didn't make a mistake buying this sort of hat.

Thanks All!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
astaire said:
There were a few not-so-famous hatters who made hats with this edge treatment. I happen to buy one of these a couple of weeks ago.

Do tell! Which brand? And don't forget the photos?

I doubt you went wrong with this one.

Brad

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
astaire said:
BTW, Marc just got one of those in dark green a few days ago (c'mon, admit it Marc ;) ).

Guilty as charged. As soon as I receive it, I'll take photos and post them here. (If it turns out that the hat doesn't suit me, I'll offer it on the Lounge at the price I paid for it. Please don't make any offers yet, though! :))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot