Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champ Hats

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I looked through other threads related to Champ Hats, but in my rush I'm sure I over looked the answer to my question, soooo I thought I'd throw it out here as a new thread...

I see from a previous thread that Champ Hats were a product of Miller Hats, at least that is what I thought I understood... My question is: When did Miller quit producing Champ Hats? and, Are all Champ Hats we come across Vintage?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
In my limited experience...

Champ seems to disappear from the radar screen about the mid-60s, and most of the later Champs I've seen have been straws.

brienlee

New in Town
Champ Hats.

Weren't Champ Hats part of HCA-- brought to the Hat Corp of America when the Saleski Brothers bought it (in the fifties, I think)? That may be oversimplifying, but I do remember Champ being part of the HCA group-- Knox, Dobbs, Cavanagh, Champ.

Brien Lee

MattC

A-List Customer
The little I know about Champ

I think Champ hats appeared after World War II. James Powers has found some ads from the mid 40s. I have one and have seen a few others. They were definitely a less expensive hat, more of a working guys hat. In the 40s and 50s, they tended toward c-crowns with lower crowns, a sportier kind of look. They were less distinctive in the Stingy brim era. I'd be surprised if they were made by Miller, since Miller hats are actually made by other companies (mostly Biltmore).

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
You are confusing Miller Hats with Miller Bros . Miller Bros were distributors during the 1960's and eventually were merged with Hatco . Champ Hats were also part of Hat Corporation towards the 1960's when they absorbed all of the big brands . They eventually merged with Stetson in the early 1970's .
Miller Hats are in Texas . :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot