Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing my 'everyday style' to that of the Golden Era?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you look at my avatar of Howard Hughes you'll see a casual look that can be duplicated and is not screaming "antique geek!" He's got slacks on probably gray but tan chinos would be fine. He wears a dress-type shirt with no tie but with a tie he would look good too. The jacket is a waist hugging commercial leather model. You could substitute several non-leather short jackets/windbreakers that timelessly have looked about the same for 75 years. The hat in gray puts it all together but with tan pants a brown or tan hat would work.

Technically nothing except the fedora dates the photo. Without the hat if you dressed that way there wouldn't even be an extra look on anyone's part. Add the fedora when you feel a little bolder.

A.R. McVintage

The only thing I'd add is that unless you're old enough to have shaving be an everyday requirement, too much of an adult suit and you only end up "Bugsy Malone" instead of stylish.

malone460.jpg

Mr. Turner

New in Town
For any of those who live in Boston (Cambridge especially), you may want to check out "The Garment District". http://www.garment-district.com/

My sister-in-law and brother are buying me a new coat from there for my birthday coming up, and I guess they have plenty of vintage clothing for very small prices.

Edward

Bartender
Mr. Turner said:
I'm just sad, but understand the idea, that we cannot wear hats in school. (Respect to the flag and all...)

We can wear them when coming in, or leaving school, but not while class is going on, or between classes. Although, wearing them around town is, of course, accepted.;)

Flag etiquette? Can you explain that one for those of us outside the US, please? I know the US has a much more extensive rule-based approach towards the national flag than most other countries I've encountered, but I'm not quite following you on this one... [huh]

Of course, in any case, it would be inappropriate for a gentleman to wear a hat while inside the building, non? I see this old social rule being enforced in a lot of bars and clubs in London these days.... though they're not concerned with etiquette, merely making sure your face will show up on CCTV. ;)

Oh..... and while some looks (the bow tie and sweater combination marked out above being a prime example) will most likely get you hassle, from experience I would suggest it's all about confidence. I went to see the dear old Sex Pistols twice this week (you have to love eBay and a surplus of touts who, in their haste to make a quick buck, flooded the market with tickets resulting in me being able to buy two for the price of one.... lol), straight from the office. Sure, I could have made an effort to blend in, run home to change (I have some lovely Westwoodesque bondage trousers in my wardrobe), but I figured...... nah, I'll do my own thing. So there's me in tweed sportscoat, waistcoat and cravat the one night, and the next a similar ensemble with a silk four in hand necktie. Prepared for a little hassle from fifteen year old Sid Vicious lookylikeys (oh yes, a fair few of those around) who've missed the punk rock point - all ready with my customary "I became a punk a fifteen -not a f%^&in' soldier!" snarl. You know what, though? Not one bit of hassle. Plenty of second looks, plenty of folks commenting they loved the fedora. And quite a few looks from some very pretty ladies. ;) Self preservation is always something to be considered alongside dressing as one feels best, but a bit of self condfidence goes a long way too.

Edward

Bartender
Mid-fogey said:
...plenty of weight to what Edward says. He is still pretty young and is a university lecturer, so he sees people everyday not much older than you. Also, after reading a number of his posts, he "gets it" in regards to what a good blend would be.

Compliment much appreciated, Sir. Thank-you!

troyd

New in Town
my .02

My advice (not that anyone asked).....is to find a style that is comfortable and practical and fits your image. I think at your age (and even older folks) where people run into ridicule is trying to pull something off that is completely out of character. For example, back in my time in high school, the kid that always wore corduroy's and plaid shirts went on a chess king/merry go round shopping spree and came to school the next day in the jacket Michael Jackson wore in the 'Beat It' video and parachute pants.

I'd say, start simple. For me this is where I'd start:

a decent pair of shoes is a must, basic pair of oxfords or even a pair of loafers goes well with khakis or even jeans. Put a decent shine on them, perhaps not a mirror shine but a good brushing.

A decent watch, with a leather band (aligator is a nice touch).

A crisply pressed / starched shirt (I'd forgo the tie). I'd go with a decent broadcloth, or perhaps an oxford.

Trousers, again, whatever you decide, as long as they are neatly pressed with appropriate creases. My preference is for a good pair of khakis (Bills Khakis are THE khakis to own) with a leather belt that matches your shoes.

A tweed/Navy or some sort of sports jacket depending on the season may work well for you.

These are just some suggestions but I think that if you go with a classic, understated look to start that is well put together without looking contrived.....once you have THAT down, you can incorporate other, perhaps more period specific, touches. I've always thought that you can get away with most anything if it 'fits' you as opposed to trying to look like an advertisement for a particular look.

My .02, YMMV.

Cheers,

Troy

Edward

Bartender
Agreed with Troyd. As for a next step, a cravat looks great with an open neck shirt and sports jacket. I find a cravat/ascot has something of a rakish charm all its own and looks just that little bit sharper than an open-neck shirt alone, but not so formal as a four in hand tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21