Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chapal leathers

Thank you. I appreciate this. Just went to the Good Wear site and am very impressed. Cheers

There is a drawback GW. It is a "one man operation". The wait for an order can extend beyond 6 months.

You mentioned over on the A1 thread that the Chapal A1 fit you better than an Aero A1.
Keep in mind that Aero is primarily a "custom order" company, that makes jackets to the measurements of their customers.
I suspect you tried on an "off the rack" model.

Mine showed up and it's got a little red hood maybe that's what you are seeing after the sticker shock! Oh and another has a little yellow hood......not my fancy.

"The coastal command jacket is based on a leather jacket from WW2 worn by gunners who were defending the British coastline in Pillboxes. The leather hood on the Coastal Command Jacket is hand painted either yellow or orange. When the hoods were up it was easy for soldiers to identify their fellow men that were positioned in front, and keep them safe from shots fired from behind."

Coastal-yellow.jpg

Coastal-orange.jpg

But alas, no red :eeek:

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
"The coastal command jacket is based on a leather jacket from WW2 worn by gunners who were defending the British coastline in Pillboxes. The leather hood on the Coastal Command Jacket is hand painted either yellow or orange. When the hoods were up it was easy for soldiers to identify their fellow men that were positioned in front, and keep them safe from shots fired from behind."

Coastal-yellow.jpg

Coastal-orange.jpg

But alas, no red :eeek:

AFAIK the costal command jacket was based on the Irvin, this one looks like Santa's verison of the ANJ-4!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I guess I judge more by how it would look on the Harley....Just Kidding, these jackets certainly served there purpose with the British Coastal Command. I think the cost now though is a bit high.

The Chapal garments are gorgeous but I would still put my LW Trojan against theirs for style and wear.

JimmyBuffettrip2.jpg

Last edited:

normanf

One of the Regulars
AFAIK the costal command jacket was based on the Irvin, this one looks like Santa's verison of the ANJ-4!

There are versions of the B-3 that come with a leather hood with a coyote fur trim ruff and they are based on this very jacket! Cockpit USA makes one:

cockpitB3hood_DETAIL.jpg

That would be for Nigel Cabourn. Not sure i'd call them a fashion house as such as his pieces are based on archival clothing.

Check his blog http://www.cabourn.com/blog/?p=834

The hooded jacket is super expensive but not £4500, just a tad over £2000.

A good example of how being ignorant of what is out there can end up costing you a bunch.
I suspect you could order one directly from Aero for less than half of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou