Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheers To The Baseball Cap

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
But as the old saying goes: Boys wear caps, MEN wear hats.

As to the wearing of hats and caps in the ¨Golden Era¨:
When in a correct suit about town this was true (more so for the middle class and above), but for a suit, combination or outfit that was more sporty or workwear a flat-cap was very appropriate regardless of age or status. Plenty men also wore caps for normal suits.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm occasionally in NYC and often see businessmen in custom tailored suits, Rolex, nice overcoat, otherwise dressed to the nines topped off with a cheap ballcap. You don't have to be into fedoras to think this looks awful. Otherwise I think ballcaps are fine, just not with a suit.

fedoracentric

Banned
I can see wearing a ball cap when exercising, playing sports, or even working at manual labor where a fedora can oft times be found a bit clumsy and in the way (tho I realize laborers back in the day wore fedoras on the job). There is a place for them, I suppose. But I see the ball cap as an extension of the odious Peter Pan syndrome that too many men in western society suffer from these days.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
Sometimes I feel like a fedora, other times I feel like a cowboy hat, and there are days I wear the ball cap, and as with all my lids, I have some great ball caps. Different courses for different horses. I don't believe it is a "Peter Pan" syndrome, just a functional lid that does it's job very well.

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
Yeah-it's just a cap in the end. Covers your head and gives some protection. I'll wear a cap, a fedora or a cowboy hat, too, depending on what I'm doing. signed...Peter ;)

ingineer

One Too Many
I always remember what my mother said when I put one on.
"You look stupid in that, put a proper hat on!!"
However, I have owned several team hats.
Also they make a small bump cap insert for work.
High pressure steam pipes always seem to be installed by someone 4 foot tall and
Wearing a hardhat is sometimes too much.

Richard

I prefer the look of a fedora to anything, but a ball cap has its place, too.

I wear one to work every day. It's easier and less complicated in a factory setting. I also wear them for chores (oil changes, lawn care, construction work) where a fedora is not only often impractical, but could get easily ruined.

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
I have nothing against baseball caps. Pretty much all of my friends wear one and they're good, hard working and honest people. I don't like them on me but they look fine on everyone else.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I have over 100 baseball caps. I have a few that wear I when I am not wearing a western hat. I posted a comment on another thread about baseball caps as well. I wear baseball caps when I go shooting, hiking, or camping. I also wear them at baseball games. :)
Most of my baseball style caps have firearms company logos and sports team's logos. The rest were given to me for a number of reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR