Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheesy Sci-Fi Film Appreciation

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Back when it was on regularly (15 years ago or so), I used to enjoy Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3K) immensely. For those of you who haven't heard of it, they essentially play just the type of movie that is the subject of this thread for a chap called Joel and his two robot buddies who are trapped in space my mad scientists. They are forced to watch the most terrible of this genre and spend the whole time heckling and making rude commentary about whatever particular show they're watching at the time. It's often quite clever, and very, very entertaining. Don't watch MST3K if you're hammered though, or you will likely do yourself an injury by over-laughing.

de Stokesay

MST3K was profoundly funny and the quips flew from all of the participants. The thing is their references were sometime pretty obtuse so knowing the far out references was a bit of a coup. If you go on Amazon and occassionally Ebay you can get DVD's of some of the programs. For me the one they did for "The Amazing Collosal Man" had me in stitches. The one with the abysmal Torgo was great. I miss it a lot. HMMM Amazon's calling.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Mesa of Lost Women (with a side-burned, bespectacled Jackie Coogan) comes to mind, as does Queen of Outer Space with Zsa Zsa, and directed by 3 Stooges "master" Ed Bernds. And might I please include Plan Nine From Outer Space, and Night of the Ghouls, both by you-know-who? (Although on second thought, the latter is really more like absurdist pseudo-horror...)

de Stokesay said:
Back when it was on regularly (15 years ago or so), I used to enjoy Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3K) immensely. For those of you who haven't heard of it, they essentially play just the type of movie that is the subject of this thread for a chap called Joel and his two robot buddies who are trapped in space my mad scientists. They are forced to watch the most terrible of this genre and spend the whole time heckling and making rude commentary about whatever particular show they're watching at the time. It's often quite clever, and very, very entertaining. Don't watch MST3K if you're hammered though, or you will likely do yourself an injury by over-laughing.

de Stokesay
The truly sad thing about MST3K was that almost everyone I know had been doing the same thing in their living or family rooms for decades before the show existed; we just weren't smart enough to figure out a way to make money from it. lol

Back on topic, my first exposure to sci-fi was watching Star Trek and Godzilla movies on television with my older sister in the mid to late 60s. Films like Them, Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, and The Day The Earth Stood Still are favorites to this day.

Since it's been mentioned, Creature From the Black Lagoon is an all-time favorite, but I consider it more of a horror film than a sci-fi film (though I can see how it could fall under both categories). IMO, the same is true of King Kong (1933). If you consider them sci-fi, put 'em on my list. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda