Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Chicago Hook" bash

fedoracentric

Banned
Found this on the Internet...

stetson_crimson_02.jpg

Mr.Astor

Banned
Herzen, that it to a tee! You roll the crown over with your fingers, push up the side you wear your hat as in cock your hat left or right! Beautiful hat! Gary does beautiful work!

Edward

Bartender
Found this on the Internet...

View attachment 12915

Very nice. I've been considering picking up a black Federation for this, but I'm starting to think the light fawn would show it off better.... Haven't quite figured out that little doublr-bit on the front right (observer's right), but I'm sure once I have a hat in my hand I'll get it.

Regarding the brim angle, I believe this was to do with keeping the brim up nd out of the line of sight of your shooting eye...

fedoracentric

Banned
Not sure I'd ever wear that bash, though. It looks like a loaf of bread or a giant dinner roll on yer head! I'd be tempted to stick a slab of butter in that crevice. LOL

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Would these hook bashes be that period's equivalent to the modern flat brimmed ball cap with the stickers still on it?

I've always been amused by the bash in Einstein's hat. It looks like he just grabbed a handful of the front of the crown, to give him a good handle for taking it off.

Edward

Bartender
Would these hook bashes be that period's equivalent to the modern flat brimmed ball cap with the stickers still on it?

At least in the case of Capone's boys, it seems to have been more about a sense of tribal belonging, whereas with the stickered ball caps it's signalling that the wearer's cap is genuine, rather than being a cheap knock-off. Somewhat different, though I suppose both are designed to convey a certain status on the wearer, so they have that in common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany