Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Chicago Hook" bash

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Anyone have pictures of the various gangster "hook" bashes. I've read about them, and there's one on Gary White's site, but I haven't seen many pictures. Anybody have one?

Torpedo

One Too Many
I am not familiar with this crease, neither. In GW website they seem to imply there would be even substyles, the "Detroit" being mentioned.

Judging by the pic in that 'site, I am not thrilled by this crease, anyway.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Detroit hook bash in the picture is merely a center-dent crease with a connected off-center dent in the pinch. It doesn't look all that difficult to perform, but would likely require some water or steam. I certainly wouldn't pay much just to have someone do that for me.

I don't dislike the bash, but it certainly isn't pretty. In fact, the term "bash" works well for it.

The Capone "bash" shown on his list is little more than a center dent with very light pinch-dents on the sides, no front pinch, and the brim turned down on the right side of the hat. I believe that would most definitely require steam to keep it in place, as the pinches and the brim would want to flip out during normal wear.

1961MJS

Hi

I'd REALLY like to see a picture of the Chicago and / or Detroit Hook with the hat on someone's head. To me it looks kind of stupid there by itself. I can't imagine any self respecting Chicago hood liking anything by terribly cool. I would assume the same of the boys from Mo'Town, but I've never been there.

The Capone looks interesting. I'm considering what a intersection between a normal snap brim and the Capone would look like. I'm right handed, therefore the brim snapped down over the left eye at 315 degrees with your nose at 0 degrees. The back of the brim at 135 degrees would be up.

I'll see what I can do about a picture.

Later

Undertow

JimWagner said:
Or have one applied by a blackjack.

Precisely what it looks like! Good call! :eusa_clap

I figured anyone wearing a bash like that probably got punched and left it that way. A blackjack would be a more likely culprit.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I posted this over in the New hats thread, but it seems appropriate here too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
My newest Gary White. This is the "Chicago Hook".

From above the crease looks kinda like a "C". The Detroit version looks like an "S".

Not to everyone's taste, I imagine, but I rather like the asymmetry of it.

1961MJS

Hi

I stand corrected, that looks good. I tried to make my fedora brim break to the left instead of to the front, but it didn't work.

What color is that? I like it.

Later

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure about other "hooks", but as I said the two that Mr. White does (Chicago and Detroit) are pretty similar. Referring back to my overhead shot, the Chicago looks like a "C".

The Detroit is basically the same with the exception that the crease in the front goes to the left (as you look at it), making it look like a letter "S" from above. I know from Mr. White that there were other hooks, but I can't say I've seen any other than these two.

[/QUOTE]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff