Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post & first hats

RockyR

New in Town
What's the old saying? You know you are old when your presence with the opposite sex is more cute than threat!

Ps, if you want compliments, wear a bowler. I get compliments all the time from both men and women.

View attachment 604037 View attachment 604038
You absolutely pull that off!!

If I tried people would think I was being ironic.

I'm comfortable in flat caps (and only because a brilliant salesman at Laird in London made me wear it out and not to take it off for a whole day)... just need to ease into crowns, a bowler being the end goal.

joele54

New in Town
I am new to the Fedora Lounge and relatively new to wearing fedoras, but it did not take me long to make that and sport coats to feel like my "second skin". As a matter of fact, if someone asks me why I wear either, I refer to it new skin.

This is a custom navy Gannon beaver fedora I had made a few weeks. For those who have don't have a Gannon fedora, he is fantastic to work with. Does great work.

Sorry for the goofy smile, but that is what I usually get taking a selfie.

Th
NavyFedora.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
As many others have noted, it's all about what you're used to. It might take a time or two out, but stick with it and wearing any of our hats will become so normal, it feels odd not to have them on. The secret to looking good in a hat, imo, is wearing the hat, not letting it wear you. It's the same with anything - including a kilt. The guy who looks good in a kilt is the guy who happens to be wearing a kilt - not the guy parading around in it like it's fancy dress and going "look at me, I'm wearing a skirt! Ha!"

Last hat I can remember feeling a little self conscious about was a beret some years ago. Wore it out a couple of times, all concerns forgotten.

With a fedora you will get the occasional comment - gangster, cowboy even, whatever. Just remember that 99% of the time people appreciate what you're wearing and are trying to acknowledge that through their own, sometimes limited, field of popular culture reference points.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Dear Loungers

Long time lurking, first time posting.

After following many of your journeys, I've decided to purchase my first two 'grown up' hats. An Akubra Fed IV and Squatter.

By way of intro, I'm 35 yo, lawyer and really want to be a hat person... love them.

However, I have nerves (and I've read a few threads on here about people feeling self-conscious). It means that although I can enjoy looking at my new purchases, wearing them around the house (and looking I the mirror wondering if I can 'pull them off') wearing them outside of the confines of the house is yet to happen.

I'm very self-conscious and don't really dress up (preferring a t-shirt/polo, chinos, and RM Williams). Does anybody wear their hats (and feel comfortable) with this type of clothing? Would it be a faux pa?

I can wear a wig to court and not feel self-conscious (likely because I'm also wearing robes and have a profession that necessitates dress ups)... but not hats!...

Any hints, tips, tricks, and anecdotes about how you beat the nerves and your hat journeys would be welcome! The hats are working me, but I want to work the hats.

View attachment 602879 View attachment 602880 View attachment 602881 View attachment 602882 View attachment 602883 View attachment 602884 View attachment 602885
There's a common perception that fedora hat wearers will be taunted by calls of "Hey Indie," as in Indiana Jones. It's never happened to me. Nor that other misconception of being called, Al Capone. Quite the contrary actually, my hats garner compliments rather than brick-bats.

Your court appearance in barrister attire causes you no self-consciousness, just wear your fabulous hats and believe you me, you will be no more self-conscious than you are in your court attire. And when you are ready, post a photo, the comments that will generate will have you smiling all day long.

joele54

New in Town
RockyR:
I am 70 and decided I wanted to up my game because I am still working. Check your age. I am sure you are old enough to make your own decisions. You have to wear a fedora for your own enjoyment. It is not to entertain others, though it may do so.

I lost about 70 lbs in the last 10 months, for the second time. The first time I lost 120 lbs `14 years ago in a bootcamp program. Once the weight was off then, I decided to take a sartorial interest in improving my life. Upgraded my wardrobe to good quality shirts, sport coats, slacks, and shoes. Learned to like wearing them because it made me feel good. I gained about 50 lbs during covid (shut down the work my workout club and I got lost for a while,

Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rmrs+. Real Men/Real Style helped get me on track with hats and other new clothing. I wear it because it makes me feel good about myself, as we all should. RMRS may give you some ideas on ways of wearing a fedora, as well as Gentlemen's Gazette. Wear it in your house, wear outside your house, go to the grocery store in it, go to a bar alone in it. go to the mall in it. Make it your second skin.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. It's hard to beat a great Gannon. Michael has a considerable following here, so you are in good company!

I am new to the Fedora Lounge and relatively new to wearing fedoras, but it did not take me long to make that and sport coats to feel like my "second skin". As a matter of fact, if someone asks me why I wear either, I refer to it new skin.

This is a custom navy Gannon beaver fedora I had made a few weeks. For those who have don't have a Gannon fedora, he is fantastic to work with. Does great work.

Sorry for the goofy smile, but that is what I usually get taking a selfie.

Th View attachment 608608

20240204_194940.jpg 20240204_195107.jpg 20240204_195033.jpg

As many others have noted, it's all about what you're used to. It might take a time or two out, but stick with it and wearing any of our hats will become so normal, it feels odd not to have them on. The secret to looking good in a hat, imo, is wearing the hat, not letting it wear you. It's the same with anything - including a kilt. The guy who looks good in a kilt is the guy who happens to be wearing a kilt - not the guy parading around in it like it's fancy dress and going "look at me, I'm wearing a skirt! Ha!"

Last hat I can remember feeling a little self conscious about was a beret some years ago. Wore it out a couple of times, all concerns forgotten.

With a fedora you will get the occasional comment - gangster, cowboy even, whatever. Just remember that 99% of the time people appreciate what you're wearing and are trying to acknowledge that through their own, sometimes limited, field of popular culture reference points.
My wife and I have lived in our (previously) small town now a suburb of a large city. We hardly ever leave the house without a hat on our heads and we get admonished by clerks and servers when we do. "Where's your hats"...is the most common comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner